(( 001. )) . . . hell of a start

i
HELL OF A START

( 1x01: summer house )

. . .

                     Maddie huffed, brush going through her hair for the billionth time, gaze alternating between her mirror, and her phone screen.

After a final brush through, she adjusted her hair a bit with her fingers, before tucking some behind her ear. Then she looked over at the figure on the bed on the other side of the ( quite small ) bedroom. After a moment, she picked up a plushie on the bed beside her. Naturally, the next course of action she chose was chucking it.

The disgruntled noise Sparrow makes when pelted in the side of the head with their own plushie almost makes the blonde laugh. The glare that followed as they looked up from their book did little, if anything at all, to lessen Maddie's bemused smile. Really, it almost added to it. And Sparrow, knowing Maddie wouldn't let up until they answered, huffed, and reluctantly bookmarked their copy of Crooked Kingdom, before setting it aside and facing the blonde full on.

What? They signed, quick and slightly frustrated.

"Can I borrow your denim jacket?" Maddie asked back, both aloud, and signed. Her twin made a slight face at her. Still, they complied to her pestering.

You're gonna take it even if I say no, aren't you?

"Rude! These are hurtful assumptions, Sparrow!" Still, she can't keep a straight face as she speaks and signs this back in response.

Rolling their eyes, their twin signs back, Yeah, fine, fine. Just don't quite literally catch it on fire.

"That's a very low standard."

I like to keep my expectations reasonable.

There's a small ding from her phone, and the screen lights up. Quickly, she grabs the device to check it, and her grin only broadens. She signs a quick 'love you' to her twin, who seemed more interested in going back to their book. Then she grabs her phone, then the jacket, and is throwing it on as she heads out the door into the main room.

"Hey, mom, I'm headed out," she chirps as she jams her phone in her jackets pocket. Her mom, who was in the kitchen, responds, "You know the rules!"
"Yes ma'am," Maddie does a salute for dramatic effect, and heads for the door. She barely touches the knob before her mother makes a noise of recognition.

"Hang on, before I forget-"
Maddie groans at being stopped last second before turning around. Her mother makes a bit of face at her, playfully mocking her groan as she rifles through a pile of sone papers, and then hands her an envelope, "Susannah stopped by the club while I was on shift, told me to give you this."

Maddie raised a brow, before she takes the envelope and opens it. The card she pulls out makes her laugh.

"Did she show you this?" She asks her mom.
"I was too busy to look," her mom replies, "what is it?"