(( 003 )) . . . making it up

iii
MAKING IT UP

( 1x02 : summer dress )

CW: shitty boyfriend behavior, lots and lots of arguing

. . .

Surprisingly, it was not as bad as she thought it would be.

Well, at the very least, the parts where she wasn't trying things on was fun.

Belly was trying on all kinds of crap, and she was having the time of her life. Maddie lost count of the amount of dresses and outfits she ended up getting.

As she expected, though, when it came to her trying stuff on, it was a nightmare. 

It wasn't necessarily that Maddie was a total tomboy, or didn't dress 'girly'. It was just that these shops were so... not her. Belly was clearly much more in her element than she was. By the second shop, and the gajillonth dress, Maddie was still standing firm on the fact she was so not fit to be a deb. So, finally, she was put out of her misery, and simply became part of the peanut gallery. ( Though that didn't stop Susannah from buying the girl a few things anyway. )

Now that... that was when she started enjoying herself. It was very nice to see Belly out of her typical shell. She wasn't sure what had happened between summers that made the girl suddenly so much more outgoing, but the change was palpable. The girl was lighting up the room with how confident she was. Not to mention, she got a bunch of good photos out of it.

Maybe Maddie had been wrong.

Maybe this deb thing was for Belly after all.

. . .

"Okay, okay, okay-"

Oh, that was always a great thing to hear from Susannah. And, oh, of course, it was directed at her. How did Maddie know that? Because as soon as the girls all entered the bridal shop, she had rounded on her with eyes wide as saucers.

"Oh god-" Maddie laughed, almost jumping out of her skin once she had.
"I know you aren't gonna be a deb, and that is perfectly fine, buuut-"
Maddie was pretty sure where she was going with this, and so she got ahead of her before Susannah even finished what she was going to say. "You want me to try on some of the dresses."
"... Please?"

"Okay, Susannah, cmon-" Maddie's mom laughed a bit. But Maddie shrugged.
"I'll do it."

Both Susannah and her mom look pretty surprised by that surprised.

"Huh. Never mind." Her mom laughed, and Susannah squealed so high she was pretty sure dog's from the other side of the city could hear the pitch of it.