13. Misunderstood

I finally enter the restaurant staff room through the back door. Taken aback by the manager staring at me which this arms crossed. All the other staffs looking down while often time sharing a quick glance towards me. I gulp down painfully knowing I'd have to work a 10+ hours as punishment. After all I haven't been inside the restaurant for a week and two days.

"Ms Lee, do you come to the restaurant as guests or as a staff?" The manager asks me with a grumpy tone. All the other chefs and staffs looking down in fear. Including Ryujin and San. I fiddle with my finger trying to find a way to interpret my situation.

"I'm sorry." I inaudibly mutter. Not knowing where to start. How do I explain to him that I cut my thighs as self harm because my husband who cheated on me with my best friend came back along her? And that my ex husband also didn't allow me outside the apartment because he didn't want me to work too much?

"That's all you got to say? Ms Lee Hareum, you get paid for it. You don't get paid just so you can be a lazy shit. I'm always tired of the nuisances you women cause." The manager dryly chuckled at my respond.

"I had an injury so my husband told me to take a break from work. I informed the authorities about it and they allowed my time off.

"I don't care!" The manager yelled earning flinches from every staff including me. I kept looking down. Anywhere but his raging eyes. The man takes some steps towards me, now I could see his shoes while staring down.

Fright takes over me when the manager grabs me by my chin. Facing his intimidating face that could make anyone shit their face at how frightening he was being. His tight grasp on my chin goes over to squish my cheeks with his finger. Sweat drops gather on my forehead. I could be shaking anytime soon if he wasn't there. I stood there still.

"All these workers here are either students or full time working, while on the other hand you are the only one part time and a full grown adult. You have no right to skip work this daily. Not when you're the only idle one here." Manager pushes me away. Clicking his tongue in disappointment.

"Hey, are you okay?" Both Ryujin and San approaches me after the manager leaves the staff room. I curse the manager under my breath before nodding in response to the younger's query.

"He's the laziest here but always blames you." Ryujin rolls her eyes. We all are helpless in this job. He recently got promoted as the manager after the previous one quit but he acts like he rules the world or something.

San randomly engulfs me in a quick hug while patting my back. I stand still while feeling the warmth of his embrace. My breath immediately stopping.

"Oooh~" Ryujin starts teasing both of us. We both forgot she was still here. I push the taller away from me. Blushing like a red apple. Not tomato because my cheeks probably were darker than them.

"Sir, this is the simultanément. Not a lover's spot." Ryujin snickers before running away from the staff room towards the kitchen to pick up an order. Or to hide from me.

I immediately put on a black apron to pick my daily order as well. The male behind me tugs my short sleeve to catch my attention. Which I do by turning around to see his embarrassed face. Biting his lower lips before inviting me.

"Please come meet me after work in the evening."

I nod in response before entering the restaurant to pick up orders.

(College first year, 2020)

The project was closer. Proximately a week or two left before it ends. I was working alone in the tables through my laptop, not noticing the male who sat beside me. Resting his head down, looking towards me.