Prologue: The Dimly Lit Gaze in the Inky Black.

Synopsis: Scaramouche and Y/N arrive in Mondstadt, only to be sniffed out by Mona.

-----

-----

The sky was an inky black, and the usually busy city was ghost-quiet. Warm, orange light beamed from some windows, the others as dark as the night. People were still drinking in Angels Share, laughter erupting from one table and drunk arguments from another. Glasses clinked, adventurers laughed, and drunkards relaxed after a long day at work.

Unfortunately for her, though, she couldn't afford to go out. One of the most prestigious astrologers, Mona Megistus, was sitting in her bare room, only housing a bed, a lamp, and her astrologist kit. She had her legs crossed, her elbow on her thigh and her head in her hand. Her free arm was up in the air, her fingers extended but curled inwards, her palm facing the ceiling as her head tilted to the side. In her hand was a ball of Hydro power, almost like a galaxy with stars floating around it. Mona's pale green eyes quickly darted to her window, her head following a second after. Straightening her posture and undoing her legs. Her hand balled into a fist, the hydro magic bursting into constellations and disappearing. Blinking once, then twice, Mona arose from her bed and shuffled towards the window next to her nightstand, squinting her eyes trying to see the two figures creeping against the Mondstadt city wall as if they were on a heist mission.

Her palms dug into the window sill, fingers crept onto the glass. Her breath fogged up the window, but her eyes remained clung to the two oddly familiar figures outside. They had their backs to the stone brick and cautiously crouched. I wonder... Where have I- She was cut off by her thoughts. Mona's eyes widened as she realized that these two were Fatui Harbingers. Her mouth fell agape as she thought of the many different reasons those two could be here.

Y/N and The Balladeer had entered through the back gate. Scaramouche had kicked the guard to the ground, crouching over the body sprawled on the floor as a bolt of lightning struck through the innocent man's skull gruesomely. They could hear the joyous drunkards' laughter at Angels Share. But, alas, the two were here for business. They were here to retrieve an artefact cheekily stolen by the Anemo archon a few hundred years ago, one important to the Tsaritsa's plans with the gnoses. It's rumoured to be in the Knights of Favonius library, where Lisa resided, and they planned to distract the Favonius so they may sneak in and steal the artefact. This was a top secret mission,

Mona panicked. She could almost immediately recognize the Balladeer, but her questions were pinpointed on the other peculiar figure. Who was he? Mona knew he was a harbinger, but she'd never heard or seen him in her life. He had a scabbard attached to his hip and a well-refined crafted sword by his side. Furrowed eyebrows as he crouched, his lips pursed in concentration. The strange mans outfit consisted of black trousers, a white poet blouse with a blue corset tightly wrapped around his waist, topped off with a dull blue jacket with white and brown accents draped over his shoulders.

The astrologist blinked, pondering the reason the two could be here. As her eyes opened again, the duo was gone without a trace. She hurried back to her bed, crawling to reach her hat that rested on her pillows. She rushed out the door, darting to the Favonius headquarters. She was thankful that Jean mentioned she'd be staying up till dawn to finish work.

Y/N pulled out a silver key from his pocket, opening the door with a click! 'Did anyone have an eye on us? We can't risk being spotted.' The Balladeer questioned sternly. Y/N pushed the door open, walking inside as he replied. 'Its the middle of the night, dawn isn't until a few hours.' He started lighting the various candles with his pyro vision. 'It's unlikely people saw us.' The Balladeer followed after him, shutting the door in a huff. 'Are the preparations made? We need to execute the plan by over morrow.'

Y/N sighed, 'Yes, Balladeer. The preparations have been arranged. Don't bother me with idiotic questions.' Scaramouche scoffed, his face twisting into a overconfident smug. 'Hah. Idiotic? I'm far from idiotic. I could out-strategize you in anything. You're the injudicious one in this case, Number 0.' Y/N hummed sarcastically, making the Balladeer roll his eyes. 'Despite my rank, you still have the audacity to insult me? How bold of you, hat-head.'

'The Tsaritsa stripped you of your delusion, you're powerless.'

'I can beat the shit out of your sorry behind, Number 6. I'm the hidden rank for a reason. Even if my powers lack, that doesn't mean my physical strength has weakened any further.'

'You can try, Cipheros. The Tsaritsa's already angered at your incompetence, that's why you're on a lackluster mission with me.'

'Hah. Your words fail you, you practically just spelled out that you're useless enough for such a boring mission. This is on you, Balladeer. You're 6th for a reason.'

The Balladeer scoffed once again, knitting his eyebrows as he raised his chin and crossed his arms. 'You're really stupid, huh?' He belittled, eyes gleaming with overconfidence. Y/N gave him a sarcastic smile, practically towering over the short man. 'Even your silhouette is incompetent, number 6.' He turned to the staircase, climbing up. Scaramouche followed shortly after, his teeth gritted. The steps creaked and whined as he did so. 'Scaramouche. Rest, you need energy for tomorrow.' Y/N emerged from his room, adorning white silk nightwear. 'Don't tell me what to do, Cipheros.' He lowered his head, looking up from his furrowed eyebrows. 'I was already on my way to the bedroom. I don't require your commands.'

'You should listen to me once in a while, bastard. Know your place, Scara, or I might just convince the Tsaritsa to send you back to Inazuma.' The Balladeer grumbled. 'Sleep horribly, Cipheros.'

'You as well.'