Valentine's Strategy

Hermione appeared on the doorstep of Grimmauld Place with a crack, knocking on the door with a gloved hand. Kreacher answered the door, bowing slightly to her as she walked in. He hobbled away almost immediately. Friendly greetings had never been Kreacher's strong suit.
"Granger is here for her date, her date with the thief, the Weasley thief with his potions and tricks," he grumbled as he walked away.
Hermione confusedly watched him walk away, wondering if Ron had taken something from Kreacher for some reason. Before she could call him back to ask him what he meant, Ron walked into the hall, followed by Harry.
Ron eyed her unhappily, taking in her maroon robes and red lipstick without a word. Hanging
limply at his side were a dozen red roses
"Hermione, right on time," Harry said cheerfully, looking as though he intended to make up for Hermione and Ron's collective apprehension by countering it with brisk optimism.
Ron made a face.
"I still don't see why I couldn't have gone to pick you up." he mumbled sourly.
Hermione's shoulders tightened.
Draco had been adamant that Ron was not allowed in his building or anywhere near the premises.
In fact, yesterday when Harry had called to set everything up, Draco had told her that special charms had been placed around the perimeter specifically to keep out Ron Weasley just him.
Hermione had been baffled to hear this. She didn't even know how something like that would be accomplished, but Draco had looked so stony and obstinate, she had decided not to test him. So she'd informed Harry that she would meet Ron at Grimmauld Place instead.
"Are you ready to leave?" she asked, not wanting to restart the argument.
Harry answered for Ron, stepping between them.
"Actually, Hermione, I need to talk with you alone for a moment," Harry said.
Ron looked suspicious and annoyed at this, but ultimately he seemed to decide not to push the issue. Harry led Hermione into the drawing room, casting Muffliato on the door at the same time Hermione cast an imperturbable charm. It appeared Harry didn't fully trust Ron either. That made Hermione feel marginally better about the day ahead.
"What's this about, Harry?" she asked him.
Harry looked slightly troubled.
"I just wanted to give you an update," he said. "Malfoy's tip about rumors in Azkaban, we've been following up on it."
Hermione's hand came up to cover her mouth in surprise.
"Have you found out what Lucius had to say?" she asked.
Harry shook his head.
"Unfortunately, that's not quite clear yet. However, I think we can safely say that it wasn't a lie.
An informant told us that there are several inmates who seem to have developed a particular interest in any and all news regarding you. Lucius is one of them, but apparently Umbridge, Mulciber, and a few others have as well."
Hermione's jaw fell open.
"We have no proof that they're involved with any crimes yet," Harry said. "But it's definitely suspicious.
Umbridge and Mulciber. Two people for whom Hermione's death would be a personal triumph.
"And there's more," Harry said. Hermione held her breath as he continued. "Umbridge and two others have filed petitions for early release. They're claiming to have been under the Imperious Curse."
*What?" Hermione hissed. "How did they even manage that? Who's helping them?"
"I'm still looking into it, but so far, it seems as though they've both managed to develop extensive legal connections, even while imprisoned," he said, looking bitter. "I've been trying to get them both placed into solitary with no visitation, but the CPR keeps pushing back, saying I don't have sufficient cause."
Harry looked beyond frustrated with the situation. Hermione could see why. If they had no proof that any of the imprisoned Death Eaters were attempting to commit further crimes, it would be very difficult to gain ground with the Committee for Prisoner Rights
"Anyway," Harry said with a long sigh. "We're working on it. I just wanted to keep you updated regarding the situation.
Hermione nodded.
"Thank you. I'll let Draco know as well."
"Actually, I've already written him. Just this morning, in fact," Harry said. "I've let him know he may want to start the petition process now. Perhaps we can find out what Lucius has to say before it's approved. I'd rather avoid releasing him, if possible."
Hermione's surprise that Harry had already written to Draco was overshadowed with worry.
Petitioning for release from Azkaban was usually a long process. It could be weeks or months before they found out anything useful from Lucius. She hated to think about staying away from her work for that long.
"Er, one more thing, Hermione," Harry said, glancing quickly at the door. "Listen. I know today is going to be difficult for you both. I just wanted to check that you really are up to doing this. If not, I'm sure we can sort something else out."
Hermione took a deep breath, thinking for a moment.
So far, the hate mail and general attitude of disdain for her had subsided a bit. A seed of doubt had been planted in Johanna's stories, and it seemed that doubt was all that was necessary to curb the public's outrage with her to a safer level. As awful as Harry's plan for a fake engagement had seemed at first, it was indeed working.
The only vulnerability left in the plan was the fact that if anyone leaked the news that the engagement was fake, the whole thing would end up worse than it had been before. If the secret got out, her life would come crashing down. She might be permanently sacked or forced to resign her post. And the missing elves might never be found.
"I'lI be fine," Hermione finally said. "Believability is important." An understatement.
Harry nodded gravely.
"Alright," he agreed. "I'll be there the entire time. If something goes wrong, I'll step in, find a way to pull you both out without raising suspicion."
Hermione looked at him, taking in his nervous expression.
"Harry, do you think that something is going to go wrong?" she asked.
Harry glanced furtively at the door again. He seemed to hesitate before answering her.
"Ron's been...he's worried about you," Harry said evasively.
Hermione narrowed her eyes.
"What do you mean?" she demanded coolly.
"Only that..." Harry faltered, searching for words. "Ron doesn't trust Malfoy. He's been trying to get me to talk you into leaving Malfoy's house. I've told him no!" Harry added, throwing up his hands in surrender when he saw Hermione's murderous expression. "I mean, it's not that I particularly trust Malfoy either, but I do trust you."
If he was trying to mollify her, it was working. Hermione huffed.
"Well, you can tell Ron that I'm completely safe there, if he asks again," she said. "Draco has been a perfect gentleman, and there hasn't been a single issue with his security.'
Harry nodded, though he assessed her face carefully.
"Just say the word, Hermione," he said at last. "If you want out of there, all you have to do is let me know.
Annoyed, Hermione only nodded once in answer.