Chapter 10

Alessia found herself at a crossroads, her heart pounding in her chest as she prepared to lay bare emotions she had concealed for years. The room around her felt almost oppressive, as if the weight of her unspoken feelings was pressing in on her from all sides.

Yet, despite the ever-mounting anxiety, Alessia was resolute. Fear would not dictate her actions any longer. Lotte deserved the truth, an understanding of the emotions Alessia had hidden away, even if it meant revisiting those painful memories.

She inhaled deeply, her voice carrying a resolute but trembling note as she broke the silence. "Lotte," she began, her voice quivering but determined, "I was just so scared." Her words hung in the air, laden with the heavy weight of their shared history. Alessia's unwavering gaze remained locked onto Lotte, who regarded her with an inscrutable expression.

Lotte, typically composed and steady, maintained her unwavering focus on Alessia, waiting for her to continue. Suddenly Alessia felt exposed, as if she were revealing her most intimate vulnerabilities, allowing Lotte to scrutinize the very core of her being.

"I was scared," Alessia reiterated, her voice growing stronger, as if finding newfound confidence amidst the tempest of emotions that had long remained dormant. "I was scared after that night," As she spoke, it was as if a dam inside her had ruptured, releasing a torrent of emotions that had been pent up for far too long.

The room seemed to crackle with the gravity of their conversation, Alessia's vulnerability hanging in the air, waiting for Lotte's response. She was sure that Lotte immediately knew what night she was talking about - the night after their championship victory with their team in college.

Lotte, with a thoughtful look, finally broke the silence after a few moments. "Then tell me, Alessia, how did you experience that night? What made you so scared about it?"

Alessia took a deep breath, letting herself drift back into the night that had forever altered the course of her life.

The night of celebration following the Tar Heels' glorious championship victory unfolded as a vibrant tapestry of exhilaration and unbridled joy. They had reserved a lively bar for this special occasion, a place where a diverse blend of friends from university and teammates, their necks adorned with gleaming gold medals, converged. While technically, alcohol was prohibited at this gathering, the resourceful Americans had managed to sneak some in, and it flowed freely, adding an extra layer of euphoria to the already jubilant atmosphere.

As the night unfolded, Alessia found herself in a slightly tipsy state, watching the festivities from a spot not far from the dance floor. The thumping rhythms of music reverberated throughout the room, harmonizing with boisterous laughter and exuberant cheers.

Yet, her gaze was inexorably drawn to one particular figure on that dance floor. Lotte, with her long limbs and an endearing, graceful awkwardness, surrendered to the music with a charming lack of coordination. It was as if her body was rediscovering the art of dance, her movements an enchanting blend of rhythm and whimsy. She swayed slightly offbeat, her face radiating sheer happiness as she twirled and spun alongside her equally jubilant teammates.

As Alessia observed Lotte's joyful dancing, her heart pulsed with a mix of emotions. Regret weighed heavily in her chest, like an unopened letter of confession that she had yet to deliver. She hadn't talked to Lotte about that kiss in the restroom a week ago, nor the kiss they shared on the football field on the 4th of July. It weighed on her conscience because she knew she owed Lotte a conversation about everything that has happened the last weeks. But whenever she considered broaching the subject, an overwhelming anxiety gripped her.

Alessia couldn't shake the sensation that this conversation would be a turning point, a moment that could potentially reshape their friendship in ways she couldn't predict. And she had two fears about that – first, the uncertainty of her own feelings and how to articulate them, and second, the question of how Lotte truly felt. Alessia suspected that Lotte might have more than friendly feelings for her as well by now, but still, she wasn't sure. There were moments, brief glances and shared smiles, that made her heart race. Yet, doubts persisted. Was she projecting her feelings onto Lotte, or did Lotte genuinely harbor similar emotions beneath the surface?