Chapter 10: Diary

Percilla sat down in front of the fire that night. She had been reading the diaries secretly, away from prying eyes and loose lips.

July 15, 1971, 11:45 AM

Dear Diary,

I got a letter today in the mail. I was surprised when Petunia told me it had my name. Father took it and read the letter out loud. It claimed I was a witch, and I had been selected to go to a particular school to practice magic. Mother cried. Father said there was no such thing as magic and that it was a silly prank probably pulled by school children. Tunie asked who would want to be a freak for. I stayed in my room and cried that night.

Lily

July 20, 1971, 7:20 PM

Dear Diary,

I dared to speak to Severus about the letters I'd been receiving. Each one, my father, had been getting more mad at. I watched him burn my notes in the fireplace while my mother cried. I'm not sure why they are so upset. Mother said it was the devil's work, and father said it was just a childhood prank. Severus swears they are real. He got one too. We lay out in the field of flowers, looking up into the sky and talking. He's the only person who doesn't make me feel alone. I know my father will not let me go if this is real. Severus will go, and I will be alone. Utterly alone.

Lily,

August 3, 1971, 10:30 PM

Dear Diary,

We had a visitor today. A lady came to the house. Father was out at work, so it was just Mother, Petunia, and I. She said she was Professor at the school I had been getting letters from. Mother about fainted when the Professor pulled out a stick of all things and fixed our broken table. It was amazing to see, but it scared Petunia. I've always scared Petunia. She's just like mother. Professor McGonagall took me to go school shopping at the magic market. I told her I had no money, as my father forbade me to go. But the lady assured me that they had ways of helping muggle-borns. That was surprising to me. I had never been called a muggleborn before. I walked into my first pub. It allowed me into the magic market. It was everything. The witches were beautiful. I brought my saved-up tooth fairy money and was able to buy some books for myself. I can not wait to talk to Severus tomorrow.
Lily,

August 24, 1971, 4:48 PM

Dear Diary,

Father hit me today. Mother's embarrassed and said she doesn't know what she'll tell the church. Petunia called me a freak and said she hoped I left for this school and never returned. We are not always the best of sisters. We fight and argue. However, ever since I got mad and magically turned her hair blue, she's hated me. Severus is excited. He's been telling me about the school and the houses. I'm worried I'll be in a different house than Severus, but he assures me we'll always be friends. I'm terrified I won't make any friends. Will they think I'm a freak? Petunia does, and the girls at primary do. Why is it so hard to make friends? Maybe I won't always be alone.

Lily

September 14, 1971, 8:23 PM

Dear Diary,

We arrived at Hogwarts. This place is fantastic. I got sorted into Gryffindor. The hat talked to me for five minutes. The older girl called me a house stall. The hat was not sure where to put me. It thought Ravenclaw would have been exceptional, but so would Gryffindor. I'm not sure why but I hope it is correct, and Gryffindor is where I belong.
Lily,

May 24, 1972, 1:34 PM

Dear Diary,

I got off the train today. The school year was outstanding, but I had to go back home. Father picked me up. No sign of mother or Petunia. Father asked how I enjoyed my trip and made small talk with me. But gave me a firm warning to only tell people I went to a Catholic girl's school instead. I'm counting the days until I get back to the castle.
Lily