Chapter 6 - The Selection

"You said it was safe!" Amphitrite shrieked after Percy finished recounting his summer.

Percy winced. "It usually is!"

"You are not going without your guard again!"

"I don't even have a guard!" Percy pointed out.

"Ah, right," Poseidon mumbled. "Percy, the guards are done training and you need to be there for Orin to choose one."

"Of course," Percy grumbled. Seeing Orin would mean seeing Kaldur and seeing Kaldur would mean being ignored again. "When is it?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"Fine. Goodnight."

The next morning, he swam out to the training grounds, where the trainees were all lined up and saluted Percy when he entered, his green hair swaying as he swam.

"Prince Perseus, I have chosen your guard," Orin said. "We are all prepared for the selection."

Percy forced a polite smile and nodded. "You may continue."

Orin turned back to the rows of men. “I have spent three months training you in every way I could. Now, it is time for me to make a decision. Which of you will best protect the prince?

“I have chosen the one who has excelled in all areas of training. In diplomacy, leadership, combat, sorcery, and secrecy. This position is more than simply a guard. You must be willing to sacrifice yourself for the prince. Put his safety above your own. His health, both mental and physical, will affect you.”

Now Percy was nervous. He hadn’t realized his well-being affected the guard. He didn’t want some stranger to be connected to him like that.

“I have chosen Kaldur’ahm,” Orin announced.

Percy gasped quietly. Kaldur hadn’t abandoned him? He had been training harder for this?

Kaldur swam to the front and smiled brightly at Percy as the rest of the trainees grumbled and left.

“How do we do this?” Percy asked softly, not meeting Kaldur’s eyes. He was still upset over Kaldur’s leaving.

Kaldur seemed to already know and swam over to Percy, placing his hand on his forehead. “I, Kaldur’ahm, swear to give my life to Perseus. I will do everything in my power to keep him safe from harm. I will put his safety before my own at all costs. I will follow every order given to me by Perseus. I will never harm him intentionally. I bind my well-being to his, so I will always know when he needs me.”

A surge of magic filled the surrounding water and Kaldur gasped as he felt the bond form, his legs forming a red tail. He could feel his friend’s hurt and he realized he had caused it with his absence.

“What now?” Percy asked quietly.

Triton answered with narrowed eyes aimed at Kaldur. “Kaldur’ahm is to accompany you wherever you go,” he said.

Percy sighed and gestured for Kaldur to follow him. “Today’s a lesson day,” he said as he swam towards the palace.

Kaldur quickly swam after him. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I was restricted from telling anyone as part of my secrecy training. I didn’t want to leave you.”

Percy changed course, heading for the gardens. “I thought you didn’t want to be my friend, Kaldur’ahm.”

Kaldur winced. “I do, I swear to you. I wanted to be able to stay! If I didn’t get the position, then I’d have to leave to return with Orin to train as a protégé.”