iii. 3 vampires, a witch and a teenage boy

"ALRIGHT, MR ORIGINAL." Damon greeted, strolling back into the living room, where Zachary was still slouched on one of the sofas after Stefan had gone off to find Elena at the high school. "How do I find Klaus?"

"Why on Earth would you want to do that?!" Zachary shrieked, sitting up in exasperation.

"I need some answers."

"Then just ask me!" Zachary exclaimed. What was he stupid? "Going looking for Klaus is a death wish. Plus, he went off the radar nearly two decades ago. No one knows where he is."

"Somebody's got to know somebody who knows where he is, right?" Damon asked, with a shrug.

"You don't want to find him, Damon. Do you want Elena to die?" Zachary sneered at him. Why was he so adamant on hunting down Klaus? What was he going to do? Beg him to spare the girl he's in love with? Like that would do anything. "Please. Don't look for him. It'll only bring everyone pain."

"Fine." Damon rolled his eyes, hopefully giving up on that now.

"If there's anything you want to know - about Klaus, about the curse, anything - just ask me."

"Alright." Damon started, searching his eyes. "You can move around in the day, and by the lapis lazuli ring you have there--" Zachary followed his gaze to his ancient gold ring that sat on his first finger. "--The Originals know the secret of the daylight ring. Now why would Klaus want to lift the curse of the sun and the moon?"

"He simply wishes to keep the werewolves from lifting the curse first." Zachary told him, lying to them for the first time. He hated it - it felt awful. But it was necessary to keep up the ruse. "If a vampire breaks the sun curse then the werewolves are stuck with the curse of the moon forever... and vice versa."

"Right, right."

"And I take it your lack of surprise about werewolves means that you've met one?"

"Unfortunately."

"Great. There's still werewolves in Mystic Falls." Zachary grumbled. He wasn't a fan of werewolves, nor their nasty bites. "How lovely."

"Well," Damon shrugged. "At least there's one less than before, considering I killed one."

"Of course you did." Zachary sighed. "That might not bode well for you in the future. I wouldn't go around bragging about it if I were you. Werewolf bites are fatal, you know."

"So I've been told." Damon rolled his eyes at the warning. "Anyway, do you think we can stop the curse from being broken at all?"

"What do you mean exactly?" Zachary asked, with a tilt of his head. "We can prevent it, if that's what you mean. Keep Elena away from Klaus."

"No no." Damon shook his head, clearly having a more permanent solution to the doppelgänger's safety. "Do you think if we make the moonstone useless, would it stop the curse from being broken?

"I've never considered that before." Zachary furrowed his brows as he worked his mind through the logistics. "Possibly? The moonstone is what binds the curse so I suppose if there's any way to just destroy the curse entirely, the moonstone probably would be the solution to that. But I don't know. I'm not a witch. I don't entirely understand how magic works."

"Then I'll go ask a witch." Damon said.

"You know a witch?" Zachary asked but then responded to himself before Damon had the chance. "Of course you do - it's Mystic Falls." He scoffed back a laugh with a shake of his head.

·༓。*゚✧ ★ ✧·゚*゚。༓·

"I SPOKE TO KATHERINE." Elena said, appearing in the doorway with Stefan close behind.