v. deals and decisions

ONCE THE YOUNGER VAMPIRE sped off into the distance, Elijah had grabbed Zachary by the elbow as if afraid he was going to flee the second he had the chance. Zachary just shoved him off and walked ahead of him, guiding his brother into the forest where they could talk.

Leaning back against a tree, the bark pressed roughly against his back as his eyes lingered on Elijah's figure that was barely visible against the dark forest as it caught the sliver of moonlight that shone through the heavy canopy of leaves. It was quiet as the two vampires observed one another. Was Zachary supposed to start talking or...? He didn't know but he had one question that he desperately needed answered.

"Where's Niklaus?" Zachary blurted out, eyeing his brother down. "He's not with you, is he?"

Elijah sighed, running a hand over his face. "I am not in contact with Niklaus, Zacharias." The older original said, causing the younger to do a double take on his words. "I haven't seen him since he told us of our siblings' fates."

Zachary supposed that made sense. Elijah not speaking to their brother was such an irregular occurrence but considering what he had done last time they all spoke, it seemed Elijah's goal of Klaus' redemption had withered away completely.  

He nodded in understanding. "Nor have I."

"It's been far too long, Zacharias."

"Zachary." He corrected. "And it hasn't even been two decades, brother. That's barely any time at all."

"Are you saying you haven't missed me?" Elijah asked, jokingly narrowing his eyes.

"Nope." Zachary smirked cheerfully, only half-lying. "It's been peaceful travelling by myself again." Elijah sent him a playful glare before quickly pulling him into a hug. Zachary froze, as he usually did, before awkwardly patting his brother on the back. "Yep. I missed this so much." He drawled, his tone practically dripping with sarcasm. 

"Oh, be quiet." Elijah scoffed, pulling away. He really had missed Elijah but he just didn't know how to show it. Plus, he was still cautious of his intentions. Elijah, knowing this, took a step back to give his little brother some space. "Well, I missed you."

"I miss living in Paris more than I missed you." Zachary shrugged, a teasing smirk on his lips. "But it's good to know you love me, Lijah." He watched his brother roll his eyes, before continuing. "Why are you here?"

"Why are you here?" Elijah deterred. 

"I asked you first." 

"I asked you second."

"Exactly. So I answer second." Zachary scoffed, enjoying the nerved look in Elijah's eye due to their brotherly bickering. "Now tell me."

"The doppelgänger." Elijah stated simply. "I'm sure you noticed her during your stay in Mystic Falls."

Zachary just stared at him, blinking at his sarcastic answer. "And why do you care about her? If you're not with Klaus, like you said?" He asked, before quickly adding. "And do not lie and say for her protection. Because you have no reason to care about that."

"And you do?"

Zachary didn't respond and instead just narrowed his eyes. "Just answer the question, Elijah."

"I have a plan." Elijah said, refraining from saying more.

"A plan?" Zachary asked, raising at eyebrow at the vague statement. "And you are going to share said plan or...?"

"That depends on your answer."

"How ominous of you, Elijah." Zachary mocked. "Well, my answer is that our little friend Rose-Marie called. She gave me the doppelgänger, meaning that she is mine and that you cannot have her." He said jokily.