Arc 4: Let Me Protect You (X)

"Speak! Where is the money?" The driving bald man had already shaken off the police's pursuit and asked Shang Ke who was sitting in the passenger seat.

"When are you releasing my foster parents?" Shang Ke asked in return.

"If we can't get the money, I won't let them go." This was his bottom line.

Shang Ke fell silent for a moment before naming a location, "Green Wheat Farm."

He didn't make the place up, as it really had been a stronghold of Tabimu before. It was just relatively hidden and ordinary members did not know of it. However, the bald man had clearly heard of it before and his eyes began to shine.

On the other side, Rowan was monitoring them and immediately arranged for the police to go prepare at Green Wheat Farm.

Green Wheat Farm was around a thousand kilometers away from the criminal's current location. Even if they drove without resting, they wouldn't arrive until the next day. The criminals clearly did not have much energy, and stopped at a motel at eleven to rest.

"If you don't want to involve the people in this hotel, then you better stay put," the bald man pushed the three into a small room and left behind a warning before leaving with another guard.

"Bruno, what is going on?" The Ferrg couple did not wish to blame him despite the fright they had experienced, and they gazed at Shang Ke with an expression full of curiosity and worry.

"Don't worry," Shang Ke comforted them, "I won't let anything happen to you two."

Overseas, Feng Juan had just finished a family banquet and returned to his room. The first thing he did was open his computer, planning to contact Shang Ke. He suddenly thought that it should be very late over there and hesitated, before finally caving into his desire. He decided to cruelly wake him up before video calling him.

He called, but it rang for a long time with no one picking up. Feng Juan was unwilling to give up and continued to call while he browsed the UK internet.

Suddenly, his actions stopped as he stared rigidly at the news page's top story—Mr. Bruin's office building was met with a terrorist attack. Three people were taken hostage and were currently unaccounted for...

Three people... the first people Feng Juan thought of were Shang Ke and the Ferrg couple.

His fingers trembled and he almost dropped his phone. After a moment of shock, he quickly found Rowan's number and called him.

"What happened? Are Shang Ke and my foster parents in trouble?" The moment the call connected, Feng Juan yelled into the phone.

Silence flowed from the other side for a few seconds before a reply finally came, "Yes, they were taken hostage by a group of criminals."

"Why would the criminals catch them when they haven't done anything?"

"Do you know Tabimu?"

"I know them, they were the ones that kidnapped Shang Ke and I back then."

"Yes," Rowan spoke heavily, "After you guys were saved, Tabimu did not plan to let you guys off. In order to protect you both, Bruno has been secretly dealing with them with the police." He paused, then added, "Since ten years ago."

Ten years ago? Shang Ke was only seven back then! Feng Juan's mind went blank. So in the time when he still knew nothing, Shang Ke was already protecting him? In these ten years, the reason why anything he did went so smoothly was because Keke was paving the way for him in secret.

Rowan did not realize Feng Juan's emotions and continued, "Tabimu's power has collapsed for the most part. This is their last-ditch effort to retaliate, and their targets are you, Bruno, and your foster parents. Fortunately, you were abroad when it happened. Otherwise you would also have become their hostage."