- Herbs and Spices

So, because some herbs and spices have names that I feel like would work well for dragons as well, I wanted to share some.

Here, you will find a list of around fifty flower herbs, seasoning plants, spices, etc. For this chapter, I'll add little descriptions of what the herb/spice looks like (mainly colour), so that you can find a fitting name for your characters.

Hope you all enjoy, and find this slightly different chapter useful!

~~~~~

Published: 10/09/2023 (Sep)

Last Updated: 10/09/2023 (Sep)

Allium (genera of onion, garlic, shallot, leek, chive, etc, usually with pink-purple puffy flowers)

Angelica (puffy lime green flower heads in branched bundles)

Anise (rich orange-bronze seeds, probably a good MudWing name)

Basil (mid-green leaves with dainty white to dark magenta flowers)

Bee Balm (ragged, rather coneflower-like flowers with bright red to pink flowers)

Borage (star-shaped sky-blue to light indigo flowers, with rich red-pink 'skin')

Cardamom (dull and/or pale greenish-brown seeds)

Catmint (tall and rather elegant pale pink-purple flowers)

Catnip (light or dull pink-purple flowers, slightly shorter and deeper than catmint)

Chamomile (like large daisies with fewer petals and larger middles)

Chervil (tiny, dainty white flowers, tinted green-yellow with leaves like parsley)

Chicory (large, pale sky-blue flowers with purple tints)

Chive (see 'Allium')

Cilantro (round, pale brown-orange seeds, small and elegant pink-tinted white flowers)

Cinnamon (self-explanatory - cinnamon coloured, probably a decent MudWing name)

Clove (dark, reddish-brown dried flower buds, when fresh, flowers are bright salmon to glossy red-pink)

Comfrey (bundles of bell-like, dropping flowers in light magenta-pink or deep sky blue)

Coriander (see 'Cilantro')

Culantro (quite different from Cilantro; bright green flowers that look rather like young pinecones)

Dill (wide, fluffy bundles of vivid yellow flowers and puffy teal-green leaves)

Fennel (similar to dill, with more orange flowers and greener leaves)

Galangal (pale salmon-brown roots with tall and vivid light red-pink flowers)

Ginger (pale brown-orange roots with distinctive elegant red-pink or yellow flowers)

Hyssop (tall stems speckled with bright violet or light indigo flowers)

Juniper (cypress-like evergreen with fruit similar to blueberries)

Laurel (another name for bay leaves, with bundles of cup-like bright pink-white flowers)

Lavender (honestly, very self-explanatory)

Lemon Balm (mint-like with light pink-purple flower stalks)

Lemongrass (mostly just large bundles of drooping grasses)

Licorice (twig- or branch-like roots with fluffy, pale green or blue-green leaves and cylindrical hot-pink flowers)

Lovage (bundles of small, fluffy, warm yellow flowers and light green maple-like leaves)

Marjoram (similar to oregano; dainty bundles of fluffy white flowers with deep pink accents)

Mint (probably self-explanatory; long, thin pale mauve-pink flowers)

Nutmeg (yellow-brown fruit 'shells' with inky black seeds covered in a bright red film)

Oregano (see 'Marjoram')

Parsley (similar to carrot leaves with wide-spread bundles of tiny white flowers)

Pepper (pepper grows in small, long vines with 'globules' growing thickly along the vines)

Peppercorn (see 'Pepper')

Peppermint (similar to 'Mint')

Poppy (self-explanatory)

Rosemary (self-explanatory; pale violet iris-like flowers)

Saffron (light violet crocus flower, with bright amber anthers and vermilion stamens)

Sage (fluffy pale grey-green leaves, sometimes tinted pink with tall stalks of purple-pink flowers)

Sassafras (bundles of wide vivid yellow flowers and three-forked leaves)

Sorrel (deep inky red bulbs, tall, thin stalks of bright red and green flowers)

Stevia (long, thin leaves with small, dainty white flowers)

Tarragon (long, thin, spindly leaves layered up the stem, with bundles of vivid amber flowers)

Thyme (self-explanatory; light pink and deep pink flower heads)

Tulsi (basil-like, with dull red-tipped leaves, with stalks of tiny lime-green flowers)

Valerian (tall stalks speckled with thick bundles of white or pale pink flowers)

Vanilla (long, thin, dark brown 'beans', warm white-yellow flowers)

Verbena (large bundles of deep pink flowers on long thin stalks)

Yarrow (tall stalks capped with wide bundles of white flowers)