4

Caleb and I entered the bed and breakfast and were greeted by the owner. A man named Elias Blanco was 2nd generation Italian American and looked like, to be honest, Sylvester Stallone
"Hi, Ellison, for check-in?" I ask, finding my ID and pulling Caleb close to me. The man nods, takes my ID, and gives me a key to the room.

"Momma, I'm hungry." Caleb pulls on my pant leg, meaning he's really hungry.

"Ok, baby, hold on Ená (mom) is making sure we got somewhere to live and can do school from, and especially I know a little boy who loves museums and the cafés inside of them."

Caleb giggles hiding behind my silver day gown the pattern protruding down the sleeves and the waist of the gown with the finest gold trims around my waist I guess my habits never changed when it came to wearing my old day gowns instead of my jeans and tank top shirts.
Mr. Blanco gave me my ID back and welcomed us to Buffalo White City, then mysteriously left. I and Caleb take our stuff to the room, and then we go for a spot of lunch. Some of the townspeople stare at me and talk their talk.

"Don't mind the people we haven't seen Wasicu Winyan (white woman) dress like this since well those times when Wasicu's (white men) thought they could rule the plains."
A cop mid 40s pushing 50 his hair in traditional braids walks over to me he seems prideful in his walk but stubborn in his talk.

"Oh, well, I forgive those who stare I'm used to it. For I am not going to cause harm like others before me, and I mean it."
I bow my head, slightly afraid of getting arrested, holding Caleb close to my side.

"At least you'll forgive and forget, unlike the others."
He smiles lightly and looks down at my boy recognizing him, but I don't recognize the cop.
"I remember you, little guy. You were only a baby when we met. My name is Carlsen, but you can call me Chunk."

Caleb babbles but stays close to me, looking up for reassurance that we can trust Carlsen since well moms make mistakes when trusting people, especially those who use you for fame and happiness.
"It's ok, honey, we can trust him. He's not like the other men we've met. Go on, say hi."
Caleb appears from behind my dress and waves, then goes back to my side.

"Wait a minute now. I recognize you, your Carlsen Buffalo Rider of tribal police, and a part of the search team that found me and my son on your reservation territory clinging to a 2-day-old baby boy."

If Carlsen is here, then that means Sam isn't far away to get him back to work or to just get his attention.
I remember vaguely waking up in a cop car wrapped in a blanket with Caleb nowhere to be seen only to find out that Sam the Sheriff was holding him and Carlsen was driving and thank God he didn't crash.

He nods his head, remembering that faithful morning, and wishes us a good day heading back to the department office.
I see Sam peeking through a window and then quickly disappearing. Caleb and I found a bar named Brews & Blues and went inside immediately seeing a small band on a rusted stage of oak. The bar itself was small but not too crowded but still a sad sight.

The band played Copacabana by Barry Manilow, the disco version. Why would you play that in a bar named Brews and Blues?

Me and Caleb are seated close to the stage where I catch the eye of one Vinny Marlin the head honcho of the band he was a bleached blonde who had some visible tattoos mostly of movie quotes from Casablanca to the latest films.

"Hey, sweet mama, how about I take you to my place and we can I don't know play around?"

His accent was Southern with a hint of Canadian.
Clearly, bad choice to ask a "married" woman to have sex with them in front of a two-year-old boy who can and will repeat anything you do and say.

"I'm sorry, "Sweet Mama"? What is this in the 70s? Sorry pal, I'm married."

I gave him a good look at my ring and pointed to the kid, which gave him a sign to go away and keep it in his pants. God, men are disgusting. 
Caleb happily eats his baby puffs while I take a good bite out of my grilled cheese dunking it slightly into the steaming tomato soup and lightly sipping some sweet tea.

The band had switched to the local radio which played "Looks Like We Made It" by Barry Manilow I stopped eating and slightly stared at the ground feeling the burnin' salt of my tears form.
I promised Akecheta once that I would introduce him to Manilow's music and go to a concert of his but alas that would never happen.

Ever since it happened I've become very observant of my surroundings, especially of people's clothing. A pair of boots with fake stirs came walking my way and I knew who it was.

"Why, Sheriff LittleFeather long time no see? How's it hanging?"

I smile cautiously at him you can see he is tired beyond repair and silent until I hear him say,

"Why did you come back here..."