5

I found myself unable to answer Sam looking down at my soup and then up at Caleb wiping a bit of Cheerios off his cheek.
"Nice, to see you too Sam. I came back because of college and moved away from the suffocating state of Maryland, I didn't want my boy raised with violence and drugs."

He sits down looking me dead in the eye. Oh, those brown eyes cut into my blue he was bothered by something but I didn't hold the key to his answer or the question.

"And, yet you come back to this very place and torture us wearing the clothes of my ancestor's oppressors!"
Sam wasn't wrong I didn't get a chance to change my clothes but I wasn't found in a bar.

"A, bar? Do you think I'm an alcoholic? No Sammy I was found in the fields right on Rez borders. I'm starting to think that you are an alcoholic. Oh, by the way, tell Chunk I said "Háo Koda" if you know what that means."
Ok, I know getting smart with a Sheriff could land me in the slammer but he got smart with me first. The one thing I know and can use to my advantage is that he's not a fluent Lakotan speaker and he's also not fluent in Filipino.

Sam tenses up and wishes me a good day and something I'll never forget.
"Just know you weren't the only one to time travel many did before you so don't feel so special."
I watch him walk back to his lair of a building just like how Batman goes to his bat cave and sulks.

"Oh, Caleb I think he's just jealous of us,"
He reminded me of Sean when he got upset at me or my mom always trying to prove something to someone.
"He also wears clothing of people of oppressed his ancestors too and did I open my mouth? I don't think so."
I chuckled finishing my food and paying the tab.

As we left the bar I noticed 2 things about Sam, 1. He wore a colonial wedding ring with the initials S.F. on the outer band of the ring. 2. His lanyard came from Colonial Williamsburg exactly where I and Caleb had visited a couple of weeks before coming to Buffalo White. Whatever he's hiding I'll find out.

*Sam's Pov*

I returned to my office right to the couch lay on it sighed away taking my hair out. God, what am I doing? Where is my mind?

"Sam open up its chunk! I got an Italian sub for you!" Oh goody the Carlsen fun bus.

"No."

I can feel Chunk glued to the door just waiting for me to open it up. Oh, Saira tell me what to do.
I glance at my wedding ring thinking of Saira and how she looked when we got married and how disgusted the minister looked at a native man marrying a white woman oh the good days of the 17th century.

I glance at the door and sluggishly open it taking the sub.

"I knew you would take the bait!" Chunk's eyes widen like a child I could physically see the wheels turning.

"Well you're lucky it's lunchtime Carlsen or else I would've never opened the door."
Carlsen glances at me a small smirk forms on his face.
"Either that or I bribe Fiona to get you out."
I roll my eyes laughing at his bold statement.
"I don't think my daughter would want to be a part of your shenanigans, last time I checked she didn't even want to come into the office."

I had a point, Fiona, who never liked coming into my office except after hours because well nobody was here except me, and wanted nobody to know she was here with me.
"Besides even though I never met Saira she does share some resemblance with Fiona." Chunk fishes a tomato slice out of his sandwich flinging it at the container lid.

"I would hope so Saira was my wife and the only woman I had sex with that I'll admit to!" I say cracking a black cherry soda open.
"What about Tracy Collins? Didn't you two have sex in high school or was that Tara Clovis?"
He is so lucky I'm not gonna bring up his mom's affair with our algebra teacher.
"I honestly can't remember I think it was Tara... yeah it was Tara and later that same week my mom introduced us. Speaking of mom how's algebra?"

I smirk evilly at Chunk and oh it was worth it. He choked on his sandwich giving me a look in return.

"Hey! We agreed never to speak of that again!" He takes a swig of his drink and stares directly at me expecting a response.
"Hey, not my fault your mom got caught in the locker room with our algebra teacher."
I know it's not right to do that but he had it coming.

"So are we gonna talk about the bar situation?" Chunk says just doing the normal stuff he does skimming for information.
"I told you it was gonna happen but yet you didn't believe me. I mean I'm happy to see that her son is ok and that she's doing well but those 2½ years we spent trying to find her took a toll on everyone."

Thinking back to all the nights I spent with the Maryland Police Department trying to find her tip after another tip some saying she was here in Buffalo White then in Absaroka County in Wyoming.

If there was one thing I know it's that she's here to find something I will not hesitate to find out.

"At least she doesn't know your past Sammy or else she would get on your case about it."

Like I'll ever talk about 1776 ever again.