𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹 𝑻 𝑾 𝑶

Only after five days did Avery dare to get out of the room where she had spent the last few days. The worst of the withdrawal was over, which didn't mean everything was all good now. Only the nausea was better, the pain was less and she was beginning to feel some appetite again. Unsurprisingly, the last real meal she had was before the withdrawal. Of course they tried to get her to eat at least a piece of bread or something in the last few days. But even that mostly came out again because of the constant nausea.

With tired legs, she dragged herself through the hallway, looking for the kitchen, and squinted her eyes slightly as she stepped into the light-filled room. Ah, she'd found the living room, or the common room; whatever, it looked like a huge living room. And there she also found a sleeping Happy on the couch.

Of course she got stupid ideas right away, how could she not? The last few days she was too weak to leave the room at all, but now that she was on her feet she could actually flee and search for the next dealer.

Just because the worst of withdrawal was over didn't mean she stopped craving drugs. That craving would probably never go away completely, otherwise ex-addicts wouldn't sometimes relapse so quickly, even after ten years of being clean.

She slowly stepped back after checking to make sure the man on the couch was really asleep, making sure to tiptoe to avoid the creaking of the floor. She didn't care that she looked like shit and was only wearing an oversized shirt that Lyla had brought her yesterday, the thought of getting her next shot was too tempting to care about her looks.

"What do you think you're doing?" The raspy, deep voice that suddenly came from behind her as she reached the door, her hand already on the doorknob, made her freeze.

Chewing nervously on the inside of her cheek, she thought of a plausible excuse because as cheerful as his name sounded, she certainly didn't want to irritate the heavily tattooed biker. In the last few days her mind was too foggy and she was in too much pain to get to know Happy better. She still didn't know anything about him, but he just looked intimidating and she wasn't quite sure if she really wanted to provoke him.

"I, uh, wanted some fresh air", she lied quickly after turning around, smiling sweetly. However, he didn't seem to be impressed at all by her innocent, sweet smile.

Oh great; otherwise this always worked. Groaning, she flopped against the door and raised her hands in resignation. "Okay, I wanted to run. You expected anything else?", she asked with a snort. Most of the people always had the same opinion of junkies anyway.

"No, I didn't", he answered dryly and shrugged, then, surprisingly gently, he grabbed her arm and pushed her towards the kitchen.

"Because junkies can't be counted on, right?", she asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she was pushed into a chair.

"I didn't say that", Happy grunted, who got a bowl from the cupboard and filled it with cereal. "I've never seen a junkie who didn't try to run away."

"Yeah, great, but my withdrawal is over. Means I can leave." She eyed him with crossed arms, well aware that her withdrawal wasn't over yet. Now that he was standing with his back to her, he wouldn't notice her getting a closer look at him. The redhead checked him out extensively, the tattoos she saw on his arms were impressive and she was sure he had many more. But since he had always worn a shirt, she had only spotted the ones on his forearms and head until now.

"You really think it's over?" Shaking his head, Happy placed the bowl in front of her after pouring milk in it and sat down across from her, his eyes intently on her. "You just got through the beginning. And if you thought that was the hardest part, maybe you should talk to other recovering addicts."