2.

Standing here in front of the mirror, I give myself one final glance, ensuring every detail is in perfect order. My crisp white shirt lies neatly tucked into my trousers, exactly as it should be.

But then, my attention is drawn to the contact lens case in my hand. I glance back at my reflection, locking eyes with myself. It's my eyes that have always set me apart, which have caused me so much pain. You see, I have a condition called heterochromia, where one eye is a warm chocolate brown while the other shines like the deep blue ocean.

When I was much younger, being different was a curse. I was relentlessly bullied, called a freak by the other kids, and even adults believed in all sorts of theories about me being possessed or demonic. How ridiculous, right? The situation became so unbearable that my mom made the difficult decision to homeschool me, hoping to shield me from the cruelty of the outside world. Since then, I've masked my unique eye with brown contact lenses, desperate to hide in plain sight.

I give the case another long stare before carefully stashing it inside my backpack. This year, I've made a firm decision to start fresh. It's time to step out of my mother's protective cocoon and live life on my own terms. I refuse to be consumed by fear any longer. From now on, I will wholeheartedly embrace every aspect of who I am, unapologetically displaying my true self to others.

I slip on my prescription glasses, adjusting them carefully, before slinging my backpack over my shoulder. With a determined stride, I step out of my room. Waiting for me just outside is Jimin, a warm smile spreading across his face as he notices my choice not to wear my contacts today.

"You are beautiful," he remarks sincerely. Ever since my mom and I moved to Seoul, Jimin is one of the select few who are aware of my heterochromia. Over the past ten years, aside from my mother, he has been the only person consistently reminding me that my mismatched eyes only enhance my unique beauty. He hooks his arm around mine, a habit of his I've gotten used to. "I just can't wait to show you off."

"That's enough," I chuckle. I'm so thankful to have him by my side; without him, I'd feel incredibly lonely. "Are you trying to get me to self combust or what? You know attention, and I don't mix well."

Jimin shrugs and drags me along with him. The distance between the apartment and the university is a walkable one, and we are quite early out of excitement, so we take our time walking and enjoying the morning air.

"Let's have lunch over there later," Jimin points to a closed cafe across the street. "Their menu is awesome. You'll love their variety."

"Are they that good?"

"Have I ever lied to you?" Jimin smiled, and I shook my head.

"Let's go there then," I say. "I'd never pass up on good food."

****

As Jimin and I enter the auditorium for our first introduction to architecture lesson, excitement buzzes through the air. The room slowly fills up with eager students, each one carrying a unique energy and ambition.

I look around, taking in the crowd. My eyes land on a girl with bright pink hair, her eyes shining with curiosity as she eagerly flips through her sketchbook. Beside her, a guy with a beanie and vibrant tattoos on his arms seems lost in thought, his eyes fixed on the blueprints spread out before him. He somehow reminds me of Jungkook.

We settle into our seats, and the professor finally makes his big entrance. He is a tall man and quite young, wearing a crisp suit that exudes authority. His passion for architecture is clear in the way he speaks, his voice filled with enthusiasm.

"Welcome, everyone! I'm Professor Lee, and I'll be guiding you through this incredible journey into the world of architecture," he announces, his voice resonating through the auditorium.

Jimin leans over and whispers to me, "He seems like a cool. I hope he'll be cool with his lessons, too. I hate educators who give students a hard time for no reason."

I nod, but not to what Jimin just said. Instead, I hope I don't regret my decision to finally face my fears.

As the professor continues his introduction, I sneak a few glances at the rest of the class. There's a girl with glasses, her nose buried in a thick book about famous architectural masterpieces. She seems lost in her own world of knowledge. Another guy with a wide grin is playing with a bundle of colourful markers.

I release a heavy breathe hoping this class will at least help me grow my passion for architecture and connect with other people.

****

"Wow, that orientation class took forever," Jimin complains as we exit the auditorium. "I'm so exhausted. Are you feeling the same?"

I'm about to respond when I notice Jungkook approaching us, and a bright smile instantly graces Jimin's face. I can't help but feel a pang of confusion. Weren't we supposed to go back to the cafe together? Is Jimin leaving me behind for his boyfriend?

I stand there awkwardly as Jungkook leans in to kiss Jimin before they part. He looks at me with a hint of surprise.

"Hey," he greets me. His confusion mirrors my own.

"I'm sorry, babe," Jimin says apologetically. "I invited Seokjin to join us for lunch. I hope you don't mind."

Internally, I facepalm. So Jimin had already made plans to eat with Jungkook, and now he wants me to tag along as the third wheel?

Jungkook glances at me momentarily and replies, "No, it's okay. I don't mind."

Deep down, I know he probably does mind. If I were in his shoes, I'd be irritated if my boyfriend suddenly invited their peculiar friend to join our plans. But he's just trying to be polite because he knows how important I am to Jimin.

"I knew you'd understand," Jimin says with a smile as he loops his arm through Jungkook's, directing him toward the exit. I trail behind them awkwardly, feeling like the odd one out.

***

At the cafe, I sit across from Jimin and Jungkook. Jimin excitedly shares all the details of our orientation class, and Jungkook responds with a few words.

He usually doesn’t speak much, but his good looks always make me a bit nervous. He has a unique style too, wearing darker clothes and behaving differently from Jimin and me.

He casually drapes his arm over the backrest of Jimin's chair, and they become engrossed in their conversation, completely unaware of my presence. I overhear Jimin expressing his interest in trying Jungkook's ice cream. Instead of a bite of his ice cream, Jungkook surprises him with a sudden kiss. They continue making out for a moment before Jimin playfully pushes him away, giggling.

"You're such a troublemaker," Jimin teases, lightly tapping Jungkook's chest. "And you're making Seokjin uncomfortable."

Jungkook doesn't respond, his gaze remaining fixed on Jimin.

As I sit there feeling like a wallflower, my phone buzzes. It's a message from my mom. She's available for the next hour and wants to see me at our place. Relieved, I quickly reply and let her know I'll be there shortly before putting my phone away.

"Mom wants to see me," I inform Jimin. "I'll catch up with you at home later?"

Jimin silently nods, and I gather my things, grateful for the chance to leave the awkward situation behind.

--

Please leave some comments, Borahae 💜❤️💜❤️