3.

I close the refrigerator door and let out a sigh of relief. Earlier, my mom had called me because she brought groceries to last us for a month at least. I'm grateful she did because I haven't had the time to go grocery shopping myself.

I wonder what I should make for dinner tonight. It's been a while since I had bibimbap. Or maybe I should make jajangmyeon instead? Jimin really likes kimchi jjigae. That's not a bad choice, either.

In the midst of my contemplations, the sound of the front door's combination being entered reaches my ears. It's been nearly three hours since I left Café Namu, and Jimin is just returning now. I hear the familiar creak as the door opens and then shuts, and moments later, Jimin walks into the kitchen.

"I'm really sorry, Seokjin," he says, his voice filled with dramatic remorse as he approaches me. "I should have consulted you first, but everything happened so suddenly!"

I furrow my brow at him. "What's the matter with you?"

"It's just that a few of Jungkook's friends want to give us a warm welcome to the university," he explains, but his words leave me puzzled. "They'll be arriving shortly—"

"Wait! Wait!" I interrupt him, trying to process what he just said. "You mean here? At our house? Tonight?"

Jimin nods, a guilty look spreading across his face.

"I don't know if I'm ready to meet anyone, Jimin," I say, pacing nervously. "What if they think I'm weird? What if...?"

"You don't have to meet them if you're not) ready, Jinnie," he says. "I can call Jungkook and cancel. Your comfort and well-being are more important than anything."

I shake my head. "No. One of the reasons I came to uni was to meet people. This can be a start, right?"

Jimin hesitates briefly but then nods. Deep down, I know he doesn't mean any harm. He would never purposefully do anything to make me uneasy. I can tell he must have felt obligated to agree to their visit.

I also get that he must have wanted to spend time with other people for a change. He's always stayed away from making new friends because he didn't want them to mistreat me.

My hands feel sweaty, and I don't feel well. "Can you help me make some snacks, at least?"

He nods quickly and steps forward as I open the fridge and take out ingredients for simple dishes. Thank goodness Mom bought lots of junk food, too. We can use some of that.

I've just finished chopping up a variety of vegetables of fresh vegetables, and I've also prepared some other snacks, including sandwiches, juicy cherry tomatoes, and crisp baby carrots. He's really good at this. When I'm satisfied with the turnout, we make sure to cover the platter with cling film, ensuring that the food remains fresh when the guests arrive.

I can't stand still, my eyes fixed on the food spread across the kitchen island.

"They're just Jungkook's friends, Jinnie," Jimin says, softly placing his hands on my shoulders to stop me from moving. "They're probably just as nervous about meeting you as you are about meeting them."

I take a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heartbeat. He's right. These are just normal people, like me. They won't judge me for being a little different, right? There's nothing wrong with heterochromia, but I haven't really interacted with people besides Jimin and everyone at my house?

"But what if they think I'm strange, or boring, or..." I trail off, my anxiety getting the best of me.

"Jinnie, you're one of the most incredible people I know. You're kind, funny, and intelligent. Anyone would be lucky to meet you. It will be okay."