3

I got to my parents in time. They were sitting on a table filled with delicious food from all over the world.

The bell rang twice. Everyone stood up.

"Hello, my dear companions. I graciously thank you for coming to my ball. This event tonight is more important than usual as you may have sensed. Tonight three special guests have made their way to this ball. My three sons - Ayato, Laito and Kanato." The king presented his triplets. I looked up and was met with the sight of the stranger I bumped into and the guy who tried playing a mediator. I frowned.

'I told the son of the king to wear his suit properly?!' I thought. There was anxiety bubbling in me. Only thing I could rely on was Laito's memory. I dearly hoped that it was poor. He caught my stare from his position in the south wing of the ballroom. He smiled. I quickly squatted down and carefully made my way out of the room.

Whether he remembers or not will not matter if he never sees me again. He does not know my name. He only knows how I look.

I made my way to the balcony and stared at the stars in the sea. They were sparkling. As if they are making fun of me. I narrowed my eyes at them and sighed loudly. This couldn't get any worse.

"Ah, there you are. I knew I could recognise the beautiful lady in the strange dress anywhere." My body tensed up and I slowly turned around. I wished it wasn't who I thought it was.

Unfortunately, fate is cruel.

I bowed. "Mr. Sakamaki." My second plan was to act polite.

"You were so casual before...why the sudden timidness?" I wanted to smack him for pretending to be dumb. Unfortunately. I couldn't.

"Just-"

"Just?"

"Uh, nothing."

"My lady, you are truly so cruel. Why start a sentence that you will never finish?" He teased me. His eyes sparkled mischievously and this made a small headache appear around my temples.

"I wasn't really thinking about how to finish the sentence. I apologise." I gritted my teeth. I cannot believe there was a time I considered this guy attractive!

"You were so gracious to me before you found out I was the king's son. What happened to that?" He smiled. There wasn't a sight of actual sadness in his voice.

"I still am, my lord."

"Then...if that is true, would you mind accompanying me to a dance?" He asked.

"Here?"

"No, of course not. There." He pointed to the ballroom. My eyes glanced at it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to agree. From one side, a gorgeous gentleman was asking for a dance, from the other -he was the king's son and one mistake could cost me my life.

"Or here, if that is more comfortable with you." He added when he noticed my uncertainty. "Even though I fail to understand how it could be better here in the cold air." He sighed with a fake frown.

"Mr. Sakamaki, vampires don't get cold." I told him.

"Then why do I feel it?" He mumbled while looking at the cloudless night sky. "Anyway, your hand, my lady?" I stared at him silently. What was the deal with him either way?

He extended his hand still waiting for mine. I sighed, quietly. It felt like I was making a big mistake.