4

"Your dress..." Laito began saying. "It's..." He didn't finish talking. My eyes narrowed at him. The man, in front of me while having so far made the inspiration of being a clever and observant vampire, did not notice my stare.

His eyes held something secret in them. Perhaps a memory he wished to not remember.

"Nonetheless, you are quite beautiful, my lady. Like a floating butterfly." His gaze went back to my eyes and his mouth stretched into a grin.

"Not more than you, my lord." His eyes widened slightly. As if he wasn't expecting me to return the compliment. And his cheeks flushed.

"Laito."

"What?"

"You can call me Laito."

I looked around with a weary look on my face. If someone hear me this would not go well for me. "The only people here is you and me." He added when he sensed my discomfort and fear.

My eyes softened. His father may be a cruel and heartless man. However Laito felt different. "Okay, Laito."

Dancing in the evening with the beauty of the starry sky surrounding us, I found out that he shined brighter than the stars. Vampires are considered devils in many cultures. However he looked more like an angel in that exact moment.

Our bodies swayed to the soft sound of the waltz playing somewhere deep inside the building. Somewhere where other people danced and conversed to their heart's joy. Yet we could only gaze at each other.

A vampire didn't have a heartbeat. Yet I felt like mine was going crazy in that moment.

"You are more beautiful than the stars tonight, my lady." Laito broke the silence. I giggled at his compliment.

"This is funny because I thought the exact same thing about you two minutes ago, Laito."  His pupils dilated at my answer. Or maybe they were like this from the beginning?

"You are a truly charming lady. So charming that I can feel my heart slowly becoming yours."

"You never run out of flirts, do you?" I joked.

"They are words from my heart, not mere flirting." He said.

"If you say so."

We danced for hours and hours. However the sun was never near emerging. When looking in his dazzling eyes even eternity could feel like one small moment.

Our faces leaned closer and closer until his breath mixed with mine. Yet no one dared to ruin the peace. His eyes glanced at my lips and then back to my eyes. I nodded.

And then. Magic. Love. And Unease.

There was nothing wrong with what he was doing or how he was doing it. I gave him permission and he gave me the softest kisses. Yet the atmosphere felt odd.

"Y/N?" He parted our lips to stare at my eyes. He looked down at me and held my face with his hands. I was now leaning on the balcony.

"Yes?" I was dazed but I could still focus on what he was saying.

"Have you...have you ever loved someone so much that you end up hating them?" He asked monotonously. Yet he continued to stare at me with rosy cheeks and passionate eyes.

I tilted my head in confusion. "Not...not really, why?" His eyes lost their spark.

"Things change all the time. People, evolve and traditionally is usually disregarded because it is no longer useful in modern society, right?" I nodded, still not understanding what he is talking about. "Yet there is one thing that never changed in vampire's society. Do you know what that is?"

"No?" He leaned down and gave me one last kiss on the lips. "This is my confession, Y/N."

"I love you."

So he pushed me to my death. And while falling I finally felt understanding.

To a vampire... death is the ultimate way to confess your love.