25 | alive

"Here's the deal," I began, spreading my fingers and moving them for emphasis as I spoke. "The masquerade ball is October thirty-first on Halloween, beginning at six o'clock. We all go in, enjoy ourselves for a bit, and then I need to get the Count alone."

"How are you going to do that?" said Johnny.

I saw König stiffen at the thought of me being in a room alone with Ghost. I snuck a glance at him and tried to focus on the task at hand.

"I will have to seduce him," I shrugged. "I must show him I am willing to accept his love."

"If that is even what you can call it," murmured König as he squeezed his fists tightly together.

"But wouldn't your father or Price know how to kill a vampire, Jezebel?" said Johnny; he winced once he said the word 'kill.' "Is putting your freedom at risk really worth it? What if we can't bring you back?"

"My freedom is already at risk," I argued. "I know this will work. I am strong. And as long as you or König are around to hear whatever he admits to me once I get him alone, we will hopefully have the information we need."

"And let us pray we can break the sire once that happens," said König with his arms crossed. He was avoiding my gaze. I stared at his arms for a moment, the same arms that had me locked on the ground while he made love to me. Could I call it that? Love? Did I "love" him? I have known him for quite some time, and my feelings for him have only intensified since I met him. I have just been so focused on killing the Count I have not really had time to consider my feelings.

"Jez..." trailed off Johnny MacTavish. The candlelight made half his face dark and unreadable. "I don't know... It sounds like a lot."

"It will all play out on the thirty-first," I said assuredly.

"I hope so."

"Johnny, you said that Ghost ripped a page out of that orange book, right?" I brought up.

"He did. I have no idea what the book actually was, but I knew that it was this ugly orange hue."

"That orange book is the same one I read when I found out Count Ghost was a vampire. It's how I connected the dots."

Johnny's lips made an 'O' shape.

I went on: "That piece of the book he ripped out explains how to break the sire. Once we get the information we need, all you and König have to do is sneak into his room at some point afterwards, find that piece of paper, break the sire, and then we kill him." I exhaled, feeling short of breath. "Easy."

"Yeah. Easy," said König. His voice was quiet and distant, almost a little pained. Was he still upset that I wanted to go through with this plan? He has known about it for ages! I hardly understand why he is still concerned. I have this all figured out!

"I miss the nice, innocent Jez," joked Johnny, breaking the ice, much to my relief. "The one that didn't want to murder people."

"Ouch," I grinned, but on the inside, I felt guilty. I did not want to murder Ghost. Killing the vampire was something I must do for myself, for my father. If I had the option to leave him alive, I most certainly would.

"Seriously, though," said Johnny, dropping the humor. He turned to König. "König. Has Price ever said anything about how to kill a vampire? So maybe Jez doesn't have to go through with this insanity?"

"König, wait!" I added, an epiphany working its way up inside me. "You were in the room when Price told my father about how Ghost wanted to sire me, weren't you? Did they ever say anything about how to kill him?"