πέντε

FIVE—The Prophecy Beckons

─── 。゚☆: *.☽☼☾.* :☆゚。 ───

"Now that she's gone," Dionysus said with an annoyed huff. "Let's get down to business, shall we?"

The god of wine stated quite directly what he wanted to do, solutions that in his mind would readily solve the problem but would come with less than desirable consequences for Percy. He said it in such a nonchalant way that he might as well be saying what he had for breakfast, and that made it more apparent than ever that he would carry it out without any hesitation.

He also didn't hide his contempt for Ciaran, insinuating more than once that he would leave him out for the monsters to deal with if given the choice.

Thankfully for both of the boys' sake, the god was summoned to Olympus for a meeting, but this didn't mean he wouldn't make good on his promise if he saw them still at camp when he returned. He left with a whoosh, leaving behind the lingering fragrance of ripened grapes.

Chiron smiled at them, but it only served to make his face look taut. "Sit please, all of you."

The centaur wasted no time in broaching the subject, mentioning the hellhound and confirming what everyone has been whispering about to each other over the last few days—something precious was stolen right under the noses of the gods, and it was none other than Zeus' lightning bolt, the symbol of his power.

In an even more terrible turn of events, Percy has been accused as the thief.

Percy was justified for his incensed reaction, but it was apparent that the Lord of the Sky did not appreciate being called out for his paranoia by who he perceived to be a lowly demigod, but a threat nonetheless.

On a surface level, there were some grounds to this accusation according to Chiron. The two most powerful Olympians have famously been at each other's throats since Poseidon tried to overthrow Zeus with the backing of Hera, and the Cyclopes' forge was under the sea, giving him some degree of influence. And now, with Poseidon officially claiming Percy as his son, Zeus was more convinced than ever that he was a machination in his father's plans.

There was only one option that didn't involve Percy being turned into a dolphin or erupted into flames. He has to go on a quest to retrieve the master bolt before the summer solstice. 

While he went up to the attic to consult the Oracle, Ciaran sat there, dazed and still slightly sleepy, not understanding why he was here. Sure, there was the thing with the hellhound, but he still has no idea how that played into all this talk about a stolen lightning bolt, a quest, and a prophecy. 

As if reading his mind, Chiron turned to him. "I understand you must be confused about all of this, Ciaran."

"I suppose overwhelmed is a more fitting word." He attempted a smile, but it came out more nervous than anything.

"After what has occurred over the past few days, I believe that is more than fair," Chiron said. "You see, Ciaran. Ever since the magical border was erected, no monster has been allowed inside camp, not even a single Stymphalian Bird. So, to have a hellhound from the Fields of Punishment on our grounds was something to be wary of. They're vicious creatures, known to never give up on hunting their prey. Are you aware of where they're from?"