στάσιμον

Stasimon

─── 。゚☆: *.☽☼☾.* :☆゚。 ───

"Draw four."

Percy nearly slammed his deck of Uno cards down on the carpet. "This is the third time you've made me draw four! How do you keep getting that card?"

Ciaran shrugged and smirked. "Just lucky, I guess. Green, by the way."

Percy's eyebrows twitched. "Is he always this infuriating?"

"When it comes to games, yes." Lux placed a green three down. "He's competitive. You should see him in Monopoly."

"Are you still bitter about yesterday's game?"

"You charged triple rent and bankrupted me!"

"Don't land on my property next time."

She felt her forehead ticked, but she swallowed the feeling down, vowing to get back at him next time.

After Ciaran put a seven in the mix, Percy frowned as he drew a card from the center deck. His frown then melted into a smile.

"Draw two."

Lux gasped. "Percy! I thought we were a team!"

"There's no team in Uno, Lux. Sorry not sorry."

"Well, lucky for me"—Lux plucked a card from her deck—"I have just the thing. Draw two."

"Oh no, how will I ever get out of this situation?" It was his deadpan tone that alarmed them. "Draw two. Sorry not sorry, Percy."

Percy looked at the pile like it had just grown three heads. "Are we even allowed to do that?"

"You're the one that said 'rules schmules' when you stacked them on me last time." Lux grinned.

"I hate both of you."

Behind them, the timer on the oven chimed.

"Lux! Can you get the cookies out of the oven for me?"

"Ok, Mom!" She laid her cards face down. "No one takes a peek."

"Who do you take us for, Lux?"

"Yeah, have a little faith in us."

She gave them a pointed look. "It's because it's you guys that I can't trust."

Lux went over to the kitchen, arming herself with gloves and opened the oven door, the warm, buttery smell of freshly baked cookies filling the apartment. She set the tray on the counter, the sight of the bright golden suns of lemon crinkle cookies making her mouth water.

She tore her eyes away, catching a glimpse of Ciaran putting his hand on her cards. She rushed back to her spot on the living room carpet and lightly slapped her brother on the hand. "I said no peeking!"

Ciaran stuck his tongue out at her while Percy tried to hide his face behind his deck, but his legs were shaking as if he was laughing.

A few minutes later, Lux and Ciaran's mom Emma emerged from the bedroom to transfer the cookies to the cooling rack.

"These are for after dinner, so no snacking on them, okay?"

"Yes, mom."

"Yes, Mrs. Rhodes."

She smiled at them affectionately. "Let me know if you need anything. Especially you, Percy. Make yourself at home."

"Thank you, Mrs. Rhodes."

Emma took the clothes out of the dryer and went back into the bedroom.

When Ciaran decided to come clean to his parents about what happened and why he was on the news, they were understandably horrified. They considered pulling him out of camp entirely, but Ciaran was adamant about staying. They had acquiesced, even as they looked sullen about it.