Chapter 56 - It's time to say goodbye.

This has taken a while to post. I'm finding ending a story is harder than starting one. Next chapter is the last.

Constantine sold his car, only got a fraction of what it was worth but he didn't have much choice. He needed cash for Perth, not wanting to arrive penniless. All his money was tied up in a bank account that he was certain the Homeland was still monitoring. Using it meant giving them a clue as to where he was. Constantine decided to let it sit there and use it in the future if he was desperate enough.

The bomb he'd hired for the last two days to run errands for Adam was making strange noises as he drove across town. It only had to last until tomorrow and then he'd leave it at the airport.

Packing and cleaning out his furnished flat had only taken him a day. Over four months Constantine hadn't added a single personal touch to the place. Anything new and useful in the kitchenette was left for the next tenant and all the bedding and towels were thrown away. It wasn't a hardship to sleep on the couch for the last week or live out of two suitcases. The flat looked like he'd never been there, as cold and impersonal as the day he moved in.

The car made a grating sound as Constantine parked close to the entrance of the Italian restaurant where they were meeting. It was Paul's favourite, a surprisingly chique eatery for a country town, that served excellent food in werewolf portions.

The were sat and watched the entrance, reluctant to go in. Going in meant that it was the beginning of the end of this chapter of his life, and as eager as he was to feel useful again. Constantine couldn't shake off the feeling of being abandoned. When a black 4WD parked up ahead and Lewis, Barnes, and Santo jumped out and entered the restaurant, he couldn't put off going in any longer.

The smell of delicious food greeted him as he made his way to the small mezzanine level where they had the area to themselves. Constantine was the last to arrive. Around the table were the Alpha, Virgil, Lewis, and Barnes on one side and Paul, Adam, himself and Santo. There was a "Yo Constantine" from Barnes and Santo.

The were sat beside Adam and the two exchanged a look, the briefest smile. They knew each other well enough to not need words. Neither of them was the sort to show much emotion but the connection spoke volumes. Like him, Adam was feeling conflicted about the future. Each day as it got closer to parting ways both, in their way, wondered if they were doing the right thing.

Adam gave the were a sharp punch to the shoulder, which was about as close to a hug as he could manage and growled "You're late."

.....

CLAP CLAP CLAP Virgil stood up. "I've already ordered for us." He told the table once they quietened down. "My advice is to leave room for lots of courses." Adam eyed the attractive young man, an unlikely-looking Pureblood Luna if there was ever one. Tall, slender, with fine features and long hair draped over his shoulders that should have been cut off long ago was a far cry from a Pure. Everyone liked Virgil, it was annoying.

Adam felt unreasonably pissed off. He'd felt that way all day and being around Virgil fueled his bad mood. He couldn't help the odd twinge of jealousy from time to time, like when he watched Paul and the Luna interact, sharing one of their "in" jokes that no one else was privy to. Adam hated it.

Three waiters came up the stairs with platters, one of grilled sardines with a tomato and caper salsa, another of Arancini the size of oranges, and one with baked eggplant with pine nuts and crispy chives....Adam let out a snarl. Thanks to everyone's chatter it was missed by most but a hand came down on his knee and Constantine leaned in. "What's your problem?"