𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝: 𝕗𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕚𝕒𝕣

===========================================================================

When Selina was done talking to Batman, you returned from the bathroom, took the contacts back and pocketed them. Selina's face was hard to read.

"How do you know about this 'bat signal?'"

You didn't know how to respond for a second. "He showed me."

"When."

"...After I got done scouting the recycling plant."

Selina let out a sigh and rolled her eyes. "Why didn't you tell me? Are you hiding things from me?"

"What? No! Selina, I didn't mean to—"

"To what? Make me worry? Not tell me the truth?"

"Okay," you started. "I'm sorry I haven't told you everything and for making you worry. To be honest, I was worried that you would have been mad about Batman. You don't really seem to like him."

"There's hardly anything about him to like," she huffed as a small smile crept onto her face. "Anyways, I know you didn't really want to go, but now I guess you have to take me."

"Why?"

"He wouldn't tell me exactly where to meet him. All he said was, 'The bat signal' and that you knew how to get there."

"I was barely there, he just told me to drop him off at the building it was in."

"Well, that's more knowledge than me, so I guess you're coming."

It scared you a little to see him. Batman almost died saving you. Nervously, you both got dressed in your suits again and shared a motorcycle to make it easier. Finding the elevator took longer than you thought, but seeing Batman's silhouette along the tower's edge was a pretty good indication that you were in the right spot.

"Cat burglars pulling another score?" He was a little guarded.

"What?" Selina asked as you both pulled off your bike helmets. You stayed quiet and settled yourself a ways away from Batman. This was Selina's situation; she was the one that wanted Batman's help.

The man lowered his voice and looked at you with a surprising softness. "Wasn't sure I'd see you again." You gave him an uneasy smile.

"I, uh, wasn't sure you were alive," you admitted. "I was worried about you...Scared, even." Batman's chest felt warm; 'you worried about him?'

Selina was pacing back and forth, frustrated. "How could they do that to her? That piece of shit cop, Kenzie. Her body was in his car. I'm gonna find him and I'm gonna make him pay. You gonna help me?"

"Help you?"

"Yeah. I thought you were 'Vengeance.'"

"There's no need."

"What?" Selina looked pissed. "What do you mean there's no need for vengeance? He killed—"

"—Because she's not dead," Batman revealed. You and Selina were stunned. "My sensors picked up a faint pulse on her. When I chased after Penguin, I had a... police friend tail Kenzie's car. She's in emergency care, somewhere safe and hidden."

You couldn't believe it. She was okay! Thankfully, Selina voiced your thoughts aloud. "Why didn't you tell us?" Teary-eyed, she tried calming herself down.

"You didn't think I tried? You're not exactly the easiest to get in contact with." You approached Batman and reached for his hand, but something within Batman quickly snapped and he snatched his hand away; his whole demeanor changed. It was as if he remembered something he was upset about. There was a beat of silence as Batman turned to you and got directly in your face, invading your space. "...was it worth it?"