part 1

It was March; I remember it was March. We stood outside as she smoked a cigarette and I was already too drunk. I didn't know what I wanted, I only knew I wanted something. She took a drag and looked at me.

"Let's go inside, I have something to show you," I said. I didn't know how drunk she was and I didn't now what she wanted. She just stood there and stared at me; I could not decipher her eyes. After a long pause she looked away, took another drag. She looked sad. Or no, maybe I think what I meant to say was that she looked disappointed.

"I had an abortion," she said finally.

I didn't know how to react. I couldn't understand and I didn't grasp the concept. I wasn't even sure I heard her correctly. She could tell I was struggling; I think she thought that I hadn't understood her, and I hadn't. Her eyes kept repeating her words, 'I had an abortion,' over and over again in my head before I realized she was waiting for a reply.

I had heard her, and I understood the words that kept echoing in my mind, that I was sure of. I just couldn't make out what she was trying to tell me; I didn't understand the meaning behind her words. As I stood there trying to piece what had just happened I heard her sigh.

"Just forget I ever said anything," she said as she took one last drag, threw the cigarette on the ground and extinguished it by dragging her foot over it. She went inside without even looking back at me.

I had suddenly realized what it was that she was trying to tell me. She had an abortion and it had been mine.