part 2

It was Spring Break and I hadn't spoken to her in over a week. All of my calls, texts, and messages had gone unanswered. I felt awful and yet relieved. She had taken care of all the dirty work, and had involved me in the least possible way. By telling me after the process, I hadn't had to make a decision; she had made it easy for me. I felt awful.

I wondered why she was telling me now. But I couldn't do anything about it. She was ignoring me; she wanted nothing to do with me. So I waited. When I got back to school I walked to her dorm. I didn't know what I was about to do; all that I knew was that I had to do something to make it better. I walked to her room, knocked on the door, and waited to hear the footsteps approach.

It appeared that she was the only one there. She opened the door as if she was expecting someone else, and instead she got me and a frown grew across her face. I stood in the hallway as she stood in the doorway and a strand of hair fell in front of her face.

"Hi," she said as she pushed her hair forcefully behind her ear, looking down as she did so.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you for a second," I said pausing for a response and after realizing there would be none, I continued. " I just want to apologize for what happened. I didn't mean to react the way I did, and I had no idea that you...I'm sorry."

"OK," she said, blank-faced and empty.

"I want to make it up to you. Maybe I can take you out to dinner? My treat. We'll go Friday, I just want to talk to you," I pleaded. I stood there awhile as she hesitated to give me an answer. After a few moments she nodded her head and closed the door.