Sweeter Than Fiction

Jake and MC go on their first real date. Shy, and awkward, Jake can't seem to get his words to come out right. Luckily, MC is fluent in Jake and she is delighted to help him figure it out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jake

Anxiety was simply an electrical storm in his brain. A painful, confusing, and frustrating storm, but he knew it was all caused by himself. That didn't stop him from fretting. Pacing the floors, biting his nails to the quick as he tried and failed to gather the courage to knock on her door. Why was he so nervous? He was taking her out for their first real date. He'd spent the last few days with her, always leaving before it got too late, yet he couldn't stop his hands from shaking as he stared at the door. His shirt collar turned into a noose, and he couldn't get enough air. It was stupid. He knew that, but it didn't matter. Emotions didn't respond to logic, and he hadn't yet learned how to calm them.

Sighing, shaking his head, and desperately ignoring the creeping shame crawling up his neck, he squared his shoulders, raised his fist, and gave the door 3 sharp knocks before his mind could turn against him again. He held his breath as running footsteps could be heard on the other side of the door. The metallic click of a key turning in the lock made it to his ears over the fierce beat of his heart. And there she was. Smiling brightly, a vision of loveliness and freedom as she beckoned him inside and told him to wait while she grabbed her purse and jacket. Her blue sundress fluttered around her calves, and her loose hair fell down her back in gentle waves. She was a daydream he'd never dared to allow himself to have.

"What do you think?" She asked as she emerged from her bedroom, giving him a twirl and an expectant smile.

He thought many things as he ran his gaze over her small form. Stunning, perfect, and far too good for him, but he wouldn't be the one to tell her that. She hadn't listened the first time, and he wanted to keep her.

"You look like music." He said and wanted to slap himself as she frowned and cocked a brow.

"I look like music? Is that Jake language, or are you nervous?" She teased. His cheeks were on fire, and the noose/collar around his throat tightened more as her lips curled upward.

"I'm nervous, but I meant it. You look like music you can get lost in, the kind that makes you want to dance and feel it."

Her smile wobbled slightly, eyes sparkling as she turned her gaze to the floor and shook her head. He immediately assumed she was upset and cursed his lack of confidence. But then she grinned, and he saw only joy in her endless eyes.

"I think that's the best compliment I've ever received."

Jake breathed a sigh of relief, his head spinning as she sidled up to him and slipped her arm through his. Somehow, it became easy, simple, and straightforward as they left her house and walked to his car. He opened her door for her, reluctant to let her go but impatient to get their night started. As they drove away, she quickly connected her phone to the car speakers, and he relaxed as music filled the charged silence between them. He kept stealing glances at her, hungrily memorizing every detail to obsess over later. The summer sun had tinted her skin the color of honey, and more freckles sprinkled like glitter across her cheeks from long summer days working in her garden. She was most at home with her hands in the dirt, leaves in her hair, and flowers blooming wild around her.

He was useless at keeping plants alive and preferred to watch her in her element while he worked on his laptop in the shade. She peppered him with random questions as they drove. He was grateful as it took his mind off of how clammy his hands were on the steering wheel. She quizzed him on everything from his favorite song to his most hated subject during his school years. Hanging on his every word like he held the answer to everything she'd ever wondered in her life. It was difficult to concentrate on the road, so enchanted by the woman riding shotgun he couldn't focus as well as he should. Luckily, the road was quiet, and they were soon pulling into a parking spot behind the restaurant.