Strangeness and Charm - DanxMC

A first date. A new beginning. Alls well that ends well.

Three months after the events in the mine, Imogen has moved to Colville, and is determined to see if the thing blooming between her and Dan is something real or imagined. A dark movie theater, a back row to themselves and Dans surprisingly gentle disposition leave her head spinning.

Title is the song: Strangeness and Charm by Florence + The Machine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imogen

Imogen paced the pavement outside her house, counting the cracks in the concrete repeatedly until her mind spun with numbers, and it shut up that voice yelling that this was a stupid idea. It had been three months since the events of the case had come to a fiery end—three months of healing and breaking and bleeding. Most nights, she awoke to gasp for air, sweat trickling down her neck as she clutched at damp bedsheets in a vain attempt to keep her tethered to the here and now. She was getting there, though. It was easier every day to ignore the flashes that crossed her mind whenever something reminded her of those dark days.

Tonight she was meeting the one person she'd never stopped thinking about. Not even while she'd been interrogated for hours on end, FBI agents screaming in her face as she refused to give up Jake's location. Not that she knew it. Nobody did. And he had vanished like the phantom he had to become to stay free of the twisted justice system of their country. Jake hadn't been in touch with anyone since, and she missed him in an odd way. She thought there was something between them in the midst of fire and blood. Still, it had turned out their situation had created a false sense of urgent emotions that dissipated the moment Hannah was saved. They'd parted as friends and made no promises to see or hear from one another again. And she was good with that.

The betrayal of one of their own was a poison that had yet to be sucked from shared wounds. None of them would be the same again, and Imogen thought that was good. After all, their secrets and lies caused the entire mess; maybe now they'd communicate before hell could rain again. She'd barely spoken to them since. Lilly and Jessy had made the most effort, but Imogen was the type to let people breathe and reach out when they were ready. So far, that day hadn't come, and it stung her after all she'd done to help, but she didn't blame them for not wanting to speak with a living ghost reminding them of their darkest times.

Then there was Dan. His abrasive nature had been offputting and irritating. Until that hard shell cracked like an egg, and he'd shared a piece of his heart with her, and she'd seen him for what he really was. A golden soul with a heart of sunlight that he protected with barbed words and bristled skin. They'd tentatively made plans that last day and kept in touch while her friends put their lives back together. She had initially hated that it was Dan who reached out. Thought he was brash and combative in those early days but soon learned that he felt and saw more than he let on. He found it challenging to deal with. He'd been trying with her over these long months they'd spoken daily over text or video calls. Planning for this night.