Chapter Two

Levi then turned to the source of the sound, and immediately felt all the blood drain from his face.

Soren.

[Present Day]
Sixteen Years Old

"Wha-"

"Levi."

'Jesus Christ, why is he hot?'

"Who are you?" Levi decided to play dumb, even though he knew that it wouldn't work.

"Don't pretend to be stupid." Soren scoffed and rolled his grey eyes. "You know fully well who I am."

"Damn right I do." Levi glared at Soren, years of hurt welling up inside of him. "Fuck off. I don't want to talk to you."

Soren's eyebrows furrowed into a glare. "I don't want to talk to you either. What are you even doing here?"

"I should be asking you that question," Levi snapped. "You were gone for more than three years, and now you just show up with no explanation."

For a brief second, Levi saw what could've possibly been hurt flash in Soren's eyes, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come. Soren scoffed - again - and crossed his arms over his chest.

'My neck hurts from looking at him. Why am I sitting again?'

"I'm here to play volleyball, nothing else." Soren was half-speaking to the floor at this point. "I bet you didn't even make it on the team when you went to try out. You probably failed most of your receives and spikes."

Ouch. Levi felt tears beginning to prick at the corners of his eyes, and he blinked them away furiously, standing up abruptly and picking up his book.

"That was low, Soren," Levi shook his head. "Even for you."

With a final glance, Levi walked away, returning To Kill a Mockingbird back onto the shelf and exiting the library.

There was still ten minutes of his lunch period left, so Levi went outside, where he was certain either Jay or Sidney would be.

He was right. Jay was standing there, talking to the basketball captain, Norman.

"Oh, hey Lee," Jay waved at him and Norman blinked at him, probably having no idea who he was. Jay said something to Norman, too quiet for Levi to hear, and made his way over.

Jay was one of the shorter players on the team despite being the best player on the court. He stood at 5'10, with light brown hair and greenish blue eyes.

"Where's Sidney?" Jay walked back into the school, Levi following like a lost puppy.

"How am I supposed to know?" Levi retorted. "I left the cafeteria after fifteen minutes."

"Probably with Leila then." Jay shrugged. "What's your next class?"

"Um, P.E, I'm pretty sure. You?"

"Computer science. I have a love-hate relationship with it."

"I hate computer science," Levi commented.

Jay hummed as a response.

"Volleyball tryouts are today, right?" Jay changed the subject. "Who do you think's going to be there?"

Volleyball and basketball tryouts were huge at Woodcreek. Only the people on the starting lineup didn't have to tryout - in fact, those on the starting line got a say in who would be on the team. Even the benched players had to tryout, in case there were other players who were better than them.