6. Connection

"Oh. Uh." It was odd. It wasn't like he was asking me to dance; he was telling me to. "Sure," I agreed passively. Anything to keep the royal family content while I had to deal with them. I hoped that if I agreed to the dance then at the very least people would stop staring and go back to what they were doing.

Alec looked pleased, like a cat who'd just eaten a canary, as he placed his hand on my waist and guided me away from Finnian. We smoothly drifted into a dance as Finnian left the ballroom floor without complaint, although he didn't look thrilled about it. I like him well enough, but I was leery on anyone who was close to the royal family as he seemed to be.

"What was that?" I asked Alec, choosing to be direct.

"What? Finn?" he replied with a laugh. "I was just messing with him."

"Usually a joke is supposed to be funny to both parties," I pointed out.

"Finn and I go way back. I assure you, he's fine."

I wasn't convinced but I let it go. "How long have you known him?"

"I've known him for a millennia," he replied airily. "He's one of the higher ranking members of our guard so
I at least attempt to remain on good terms with him."

"So, that was you being nice?"

"Well, I wasn't going to congratulate him for behaving like a brute."

"He wasn't being weird," I explained. "He was just trying to ask me something before I wandered off."

"What did he want?" Alec asked bluntly.

"He was asking me out, I think," I blushed, unable to say it without a qualifier.

"What do you mean, 'you think'?" he asked, calling me out on it.

"I don't know."

"Hm," Alec hummed before asking, "Did you want to go out with him?"

I couldn't shake the feeling he was taunting me. "No," I said, blushing an even deeper shade of pink. "But, I could've told him that myself. I didn't need you to charge in like a white knight."

"Really?" he replied, a bit smug. "You strike me as the type to struggle to say no."

"Why's that?"

"You accepted a dance with me, didn't you?"

"I don't have a problem with you," I clarified quickly. The last thing I needed was to accidentally offend the prince.

"Well, I'm not sure I believe you," he said, "but it's a nice thought."

"Why do you care about my opinion? I'm a Cullen," I asked.

"Oh!" Alec exclaimed, lighting up. "You're the new Cullen! I've heard about you," he laughed.

"Are you laughing with me or at me?" I asked even though I wasn't laughing.

"A little bit of both," he admitted. "What was your name, again?"

"Indigo," I admitted with mild reluctance. "I usually go by Indy, though."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Indigo Cullen," he replied, laying the charm on thick. I hate to admit it, but it was working; Alec could make anyone swoon.

"It's nice to meet you too, your highness," I said demurely.

"Please, just Alec," he insisted.

"Oh. Okay, uh, Alec," it felt wrong to call him by just his name, but he'd asked. Who was I to say no?

"You know, despite the whole Cullen thing, I can see why Finn is so keen on you," he quipped.

"Is it the half human thing? Because I'm already used to the stares," I fibbed.

"No, though that is a fascinating complication."

"Complication?" I asked, curious about his verbiage.

"Yes, Indy," Alec chucked, "You've made my life quite complicated."

I wasn't sure I wanted to know what he meant by that. All I wanted was for the song to end so I could go home. Forget standing around for another hour or two; I needed to get out of Dodge. "Sorry," I offered artlessly.

"It's nothing to apologize for," he assured me; the tender look he was giving me was melting my heart. "It isn't your fault."

"Right," I replied, losing my breath. "What isn't my fault, exactly?"

He looked away and chuckled to himself. "I think it's a matter that needs to be address at a later date."

Curiosity burned in my chest. "Why?"

Alec leaned in and rested his cool cheek on mine. "I don't think our parents would approve," he murmured in my ear. He leaned away, resuming his original position.

"Alec, please," I begged, becoming increasingly flustered. "Just tell me."

Instead of the truth, I got a smirk. "You really don't know?" he asked.

"No," I gasped.

"Hmm. Perhaps you're more human than I thought," he said with amusement.

At least he hadn't said it like it was a bad thing. Before I could pester him for more information, the song ended and he insisted on parting ways.

"Thank you for gracing me with this dance, Miss Cullen," Alec said, leaning into a bow and kissing the top of my hand before bidding me farewell. "Until next time."

After Alec disappeared in the crowd I was lost in the swell of people on the ballroom floor. I stood, staring after him at a complete loss. I didn't have a clue about what had just happened.

My initial interest in leaving the ball had vanished. The longer I stayed, the higher my chance was of crossing paths with Alec again. I needed to know what about me was so complicated to him; I was dying for more details.

I wanted to give Alec some time to go about his evening; I didn't want to hunt him down and look like a stalker. He seemed fond of me, at the very least, but I still didn't want to risk looking pathetic, especially in front of such a large crowd. I'd wait for just the right moment, and then I'd pounce. I'd find a way to corner him and I'd force the truth out of him.

"What was that about?" Rosalie asked me, surprising me. I was so wrapped up in my scheming that I hadn't noticed her and Emmett approach me; That was quite a feat, too, because Emmett was a very large man.

"You tell me," I replied, shrugging it off. "He was probably just trying to piss our coven off."

"Well, it's working," Rosalie glowered. "I hate it when he touches you."

"No problem, Rose. He's done with me, anyway," I said, trying to wave her off.

"He has no business laying his hands on you," she went on, shifting her tone as if she were lecturing me.

"He asked me to dance!" I told her. "What was I supposed to do?"

"You should've said no," she scolded me. "You're small and delicate, and he knows it."

"He was just trying to scare us, Rose," Emmett said, trying to soothe her. "Freaking out is what he wants you to do."

"He's a Volturi, Indy. He can't be trusted," Rosalie said to me. "Do not fraternize with him again."