7. Permission

I didn't spend much more time at the ball; Rosalie made sure of it. After she lectured me about dancing with the prince, she shot Carlisle a text and informed him that she was getting me out of there. I didn't get even another glance at Alec before I was drug back out on the street and to the airport.

Despite not being able to see Alec again, being back in Forks was a relief. I'd fulfilled my duty to my coven by meeting the royal family without anyone getting hurt in the process. Even still, the royal family seemed to have taken Edward, Bella, and Renesmee's absence well; At least on the surface. That minor slight might end up haunting us in the future. The Volturi were not known to overlook things.

In the present moment, though, it didn't matter; A vampire could go centuries without crossing paths with the Volturi. If our coven kept our heads down and continued to live quietly we would all be okay. Unfortunately, it wasn't even a full month after the ball before our luck with the Volturi depleted.

"Alec is here," Edward said to Carlisle on a wet, bitterly cold afternoon.

Carlisle and I had been in his office chatting about nothing in particular. Carlisle was seated behind his desk and I was leaning back in a plush armchair facing him. When Edward arrived, I turned in my chair to look at him.

"Alec?" Carlisle asked, raising from his seat.

"He's alone," Edward informed him, "and he says he would like to speak with you."

"Of course," Carlisle replied, maintaining a level head. "Stay here, Indy," he told me, touching my shoulder as he passed.

"Okay," I said as I watched him and and Edward go, leaving me alone in the office.

My heart rate had skyrocketed at the news of Alec paying us a visit. I didn't want to flatter myself and assume he was there for me, but considering our conversation the last time we were together...I couldn't shake the feeling. I tried to sit still while Carlisle went downstairs to speak to Alec, but within a minute I sprung up from my seat and rushed over to the window behind Carlisle's desk that overlooked the front yard.

As I suspected, Alec was standing in the front yard instead of on the porch, even. I wasn't surprised that he hadn't been invited inside despite his status; it speaks to how deeply we didn't want the Volturi in our territory. Indulging myself, I quietly unlatched the window and shoved it open so I could eavesdrop. The wind was strong and I'd missed the beginning of it, but with focus I was able to catch the gist of the conversation.

"I met her at the ball in Italy and I realized she is my mate," Alec told Carlisle in all seriousness.

Oh, my god. That definitely snapped my attention to him.

Carlisle was silent for a moment. "Is that so?"

"Yes, and I would like to speak with her," Alec said smoothly. "I wanted to speak to you first because she is delicate and you two are close."

"Indigo is very close to my heart," Carlisle confirmed. "Speaking to me first was a good idea on your part."

Alec pressed his lips together but maintained his composure. "May i speak with her?"

"No."

"No?" Alec echoed, stunned by his response.

"That's correct," Carlisle said.

"And may I ask why?" Alec asked, his tone becoming clipped.

"Indigo has given no indication that she's interested in you. If you were her mate, I'm sure she would've mentioned it to me by now," Carlisle explained calmly. "How am I to know if you're not making this up to get under our coven's skin?"

"I know our families don't have the rosiest history, but doesn't that seem like a bit much?""

"I'm not willing to risk my coven's comfort or safety just because you said so."

"Carlisle," Alec began, expelling an exasperated chuckle before being cut off.

"I'll put it simply for you," Carlisle said with force. "You do not have my permission to speak to my daughter, and you certainly do not have my permission to see her socially, much less romantically."

For lack of better terms, Alec looked pissed.

"Is there anything else you need?" Carlisle asked briskly.

"No."

"Well, then," Carlisle exhaled. "I hope you have save travels on you way back home."

Alec watched Carlisle with deep frustration as he reentered the house. I reached up to close the window before Carlisle got back, fumblingly a bit, which caught Alec's attention. He looked up and our eyes met. His face relaxed when he saw me, his expression morphing into something much more melancholic. It pained me to see him hurt, but all I could do was stare at him like a deer in headlights.

"Indigo," Carlisle said from behind me.

I snapped out it and slammed the window shut before turning around to face Carlisle.

"I told you to stay put," he said, walking towards me.

"I know, but I was curious," I replied honestly. I looked out of the window again, but Alec was already gone.

"Is it safe to assume you overheard the entirety of our conversation?"

"I heard enough of it," I said. "Do you really think he's lying?"

"I was going to ask you that."

I stared out the window and thought for a moment. "I don't know, Carlisle," I admitted, returning my attention to him. "Should I?"

"When a vampire finds their mate, there is no denying it," Carlisle explained. "But...your senses are duller."

"So, there's a chance I wouldn't pick up on it right away?"

"It could be the case," he replied, sitting on the edge of his desk. "Renesmee met Jacob, ehm. Rather young, so this is new territory for me."

I, like everyone in our coven, tried our best not to think about the fact that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee when she had literally just come out of the womb. It wasn't like that, Jacob always explains but it's still......

"You don't think I should talk to him," I said, in regards to Alec.

"No, I don't," Carlisle said. "You know I don't enjoy meddling, but if you have a choice, I don't think Alec is the best one."

"But, Alec doesn't have one? I'm his person and you want me to ignore that?"

"I don't trust him, Indy, and I don't think you should either."

"I want to speak to the rest of the coven about this," I said, feeling unsure. I felt like I could resist him if I needed to, but I wanted to see the bigger picture before I engaged in the situation any further.

"Sure," Carlisle said, getting to his feet. "I think that's a great idea."