8. Lines in the Sand

I sat at the end of a long wooden table in our dining room, which was just off the kitchen. The whole coven was gathered around the table, including Jacob, who was essentially Renesmee's mate. It was a tight fit, considering there were eleven of us total but we made it work.

Carlisle sat at the head of the table, with Esme to his right. I sat between Esme and Alice, and Jasper sat on Alice's other side. Rosalie sat to Carlisle's left, followed by Emmett, Edward and Bella. Renesmee and Jacob both shared a spot at the end of the table opposite of Carlisle.

I was nervous about hearing what my covenmates had to say about Alec because I already knew it wasn't going to be good. I felt like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place and part of me hoped my family would be able to find a way they could cope with my mate being around more often. It wouldn't answer who would potentially switch covens - there was no way it was going to be me - but it would be a good start.

If the meeting went well.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming together for this," Carlisle said to the group. The rest of the table ceased their side conversations and focused on the matter at hand.

"Is this about Alec?" Emmett asked, getting right to the point.

"Yes," Carlisle said. "He paid us a visit today and has claimed Indy as his mate. This is a very complicated situation and Indy has expressed the desire to hold discussion with the rest of us on the matter."

Immediately, everyone looked like they already had something to say; And, needless to say, no one looked particularly pleased with the situation at hand.

"Please, be polite," Esme interjected before anyone could get a word in.

I was very thankful of her standing up for me from the start.

"So, what are you suggesting we do?" Bella asked. "Let him into our coven?"

The whole room looked appalled by the idea.

"I doubt that is a valid option," Carlisle said. "He didn't mention wanting to stay with us, just that he wanted to speak to Indy. I can only assume it was so he could attempt to convince her to return to Italy with him."

"I would never join the Volturi," I asserted. Just the thought of it made my stomach turn. They were brutal and cold, and I couldn't imagine them being accommodating to a daywalker like me.

"Of course," Esme said soothingly, patting my hand. "That's understandable."

"Regardless, he can't stay here," Edward said. "It's not safe for Renesmee to be close to the Volturi. They would do anything to cause our coven pain if they were given the chance. They can't be trusted."

"And it isn't fair to expect Renesmee to move away from her childhood home," Bella added.

Inadvertently going around the table, Renesmee chimed in next. "I think I could handle just Alec. If he's Indy's mate then it's worth trying to get along with him."

"There's no way he wouldn't start bringing others around, especially his sister," Edward pointed out. A chill swept through the group. Jane was known for being the most vicious of them all.

"Maybe," Renesmee said, "but what if they're nicer because of Indy."

"We can't assume they care about keeping the peace as much as we do," Edward said. "They have much less to lose than we do."

"Don't you think he could be a spy?" Alice asked. "If, hypothetically, he's spending time in our home, he could report literally everything we say and do back to Aro."

"It'd feel like we were living in a prison," Jasper added.

"I don't think Alec has any business being with Indy in the first place," Emmett said. "What if he's lying?"

"Do you really think I'm that easily fooled?" I asked, offended.

"I don't think he should be with you, either, Indy," Rosalie cut in. "Mates or not, you are way too good for him. He's awful and you can do better."

"Mates aren't exactly optional, Rose," I said, chagrined.

"If not being with him hasn't bothered you so far, can't you just ignore him?" Emmett asked. "Do you really need him?"

"It's not fair to ask that of her," Esme interjected.

"Well, we're not going to ship her off to Italy," Rosalie replied, her tone getting edgy.

"I'm not going to Italy," I threw in again. The conversation was moving quickly and I wanted to remind everyone where I stood, at least with that aspect of the situation.

"We should keep Indy from him and let him suffer," Rosalie said. "He'd deserve it, after everything he and his coven has done to us."

"I agree," Edward said with a grim smile.

The thought of Alec being in pain made my heart drop, but I didn't know how to sensibly articulate the brief panic I felt at the idea.

"We can't and will not sink to their tactics," Esme said.

"We have to be the bigger people," Renesmee agreed. "It's not nice to use Indy as bait for revenge."

"He can't stay here, though, Nessie," Jacob said to her. "There's no way around that. It isn't safe."

My head was starting to hurt; it looked like there was no way for me to win in the scenario.

"Even if Alec has good intentions, the rest of his coven does not," Jasper said, more to Carlisle than anyone else.

The rest of the coven turned their attention back to Carlisle, as well. He was our coven leader and we were all curious to hear his opinion on what to do.

"It's my responsibility to protect the interests of our coven," he said, "and because of this, I have to rule that Alec is not allowed on our territory. We embrace you whole-heartedly into our coven, Indy, but Alec has no place with us."

"What am I supposed to do, then?" I asked, incredulous.

"That decision lies with you."

So, there it was; My coven had spoken and I was left with only two options: reject my mate and stay with my family or leave with him and never come back.