Chapter 3

Warning this story has: Gradient Joe x Mime, Bugbo x Gerbo (may or may not be one-sided), multifandom, light swearing, AU

(this takes place before 'A Familiar Foe')

Gradient Joe's POV

I woke up laying on the ground in the fetal position. For some reason instead of having the warm comfort of my bed under me, there was nothing but dewy grass. I got on my knees and looked around, confused at what was going on. But I'm only met with more questions, as I realize that I'm in a field of flowers. Not just regular flowers though, but all identical white flowers. So white they looked like snow, nothing I've ever seen. I reach out and touch one of the flowers, but strangely it doesn't really feel like anything. All I got was a little tingle, like my brain knew I should be feeling something, but I didn't get anything. At this point these abnormal flowers were making me feel uncomfortable, so I fully got up and observed my surroundings. The flower field seem to stretch on forever or was just too big for me to see the end of. There were no buildings, not even some in the distance that were so tall that you could see them from far away. There were also zero animals, no birds or bees anywhere. This was really strange since I was supposedly in an open field, there should have been nature flourishing everywhere without any advance buildings and such, right? I look up at the sky, hoping that a flock of birds would pass or at least anything that showed I wasn't completely alone here. But rather than any life, all I saw was a foggy sky, grayed up by all the clouds. Somehow light was still coming through the fog, so the area was still illuminated at least.

Okay, this is getting really weird. Have I been kidnapped? If I did, why would any kidnapper just drop me off in some random field of flowers? If I haven't, how did I even end up here? I didn't know what this place was, but I didn't need to realize I had to get out of here and fast or else something bad could happen. I started rushing through the fields, shoving flowers out of the way. The flowers did not get crumpled by me however, only springing back up looking as perfect as before. I didn't care about those flowers though, just needed a way out of this crazy place. But as I continue to run, all the similar flowers start becoming hazy in my vision and I start to become tired. I think of slowing down, but before I could do anything I suddenly tripped over my feet and fell into the flowers gradient headfirst. I internally grumble, pissed off by tripping and my gradient turns a slight tint red. It didn't hurt, the flowers and grass were thankfully soft, but I didn't have time to be tripping over myself. I needed to get out and find help, maybe one of my friends of something. But then something caught me off guard, the sound of crunching grass. I listened to the noise carefully and determined what it most likely was. It definitely sounded like footsteps, which a few moments ago I would have been joyful to hear. But now I had another thought. 'I am in the middle of some random field surrounded by nature. There could be wild animals anywhere, and I don't intend on being eaten today!' So instead of jumping up and making myself known I stay laying down, attempting to not draw attention to myself. I instead focus on whatever was making those footsteps so I could identify what it was.

They sounded light, so it wasn't anything huge you'd find in the woods like a feral bear or something similar. Then the footsteps came to a standstill as I heard no more. I look up cautiously to see what was going on. What I saw was the last thing I expected, but it was certainly nothing bad. Mime was standing over me with a perplexed expression. I immediately feel much better knowing that I wasn't alone in this strange place and even more so that I was with a friend. Mime smiled and held out his hand for me to get up. I placed my hand on his and got up. His hand felt right, it was soft and radiated his life. I didn't want to let go of his hand for some reason, but as to not be weird I did. I gave Mime a thumbs up to show that I was okay. Mime breathes a sigh of relief mutely before signing 'What happened to you, and where are we?'. I shrug before signing myself, as I didn't have my pen or notepad with me to write a message like I usually did. 'I tripped over my feet because I was trying to find where town was, and I have no clue where we are.' For some reason there was something that separated Mime from this place, and it wasn't that he was the only other person here. I could actually feel him, while everything else had no real feeling. There was something off about this place that made me start doubting where I was. But somehow it seems like Mime is normal here and not a fake, so I decided to ask him something about the field of flowers we were in.