PROLOGUE

THE THREE FRIENDS STOPPED at the entrance when they saw there were several people hiding under the tables at the cafeteria.

Lisa started to back out of the building but Eduardo put his hands on the back of her shoulders to stop her.

"We'll just get some food, then leave, all right?" he called out to the people in hiding.

"Do it quickly," called out a young woman. "The leader is psycho and if she comes back and sees you, you might be zombie bait."

Solomon chuckled. "You got that backwards."

The team of three entered the cafeteria, then headed for the interior door to the kitchen.

"I'm dying for some mechado right now," said Lisa. "Just with human flesh."

There was a rustle of activity from under the tables as she tried to calm her smirk.

Eduardo rustled around in the fridge. "There's some kaldereta. Don't know how long it's been here, but I'm eating it cold."

By the time Lisa and Solomon made their way to the fridge, the bowl was nearly empty.

"Just stuff your backpack," whispered Solomon. "Who knows when we will see food again."

Lisa shrugged, swallowing a bite of a treat. "We're immune. We should be fine."

"Yah, that's just great," Eduardo. "Until the virus evolves and we aren't immune anymore."

Lisa's eyes started to turn green again. The treat just wasn't enough. She grabbed the bowl out of Eduardo's hands, and licked the bowl. She was lucky enough to consume a strip of meat that he had left behind.

Solomon looked through the fridge. "No tapa in this cheap cafeteria. I think that's the closest to human meat we have, correct?"

Lisa laughed. "Pork is closer."

He pulled out a box of fast food from the top of the freezer section. "We'll, if you don't mind it regurgitated and mixed with flour, corn flour, and peas."

She grabbed the box from him and dropped it into her backpack. Strange sounds came from it shortly thereafter.

Then a squeal came from the main room. The trio walked back into the main seating area of the cafeteria.

One of the students was forcefully trying to push another one away. The attacking student had green glowing eyes, with purple skin and a wide open mouth that kept on chomping up and down.

"We need to find a safe spot," called out Eduardo.

Lisa pat her pockets and slipped her backpack over her shoulders. "Do we have everything we need?" She watched as Solomon grabbed a metal container of napkins and tossed it into his bag, along with a knife.

He looked up. "Does everyone have a weapon, just in case?" They each nodded that they were good.

Stomping sounds were heard behind them.

"Just what is going on here? I think you should hand those knives over."

The three friends looked up at the tall thin woman standing there. She had a smug expression upon her face. Even the zombie stopped fighting his food source.

"I know how this goes," said Lisa. She leaned over and bit her on the arm, hard.

"Ahhh!" screamed the young woman. "They are zombies! Why didn't you attack?"

Lisa and her friends quickly headed to the door and left.

Eduardo laughed. "Funny, Lisa."

As they ran out into the university courtyard, Solomon called over to her. "What happens? Will she turn into a zombie now?"

She smiled. "I have no idea. If she self-vaccination has worked for us, then maybe she will be fine." She shrugged. "Not my problem."