CHAPTER 2

SOLOMON DIDN'T LOOK UP as Eduardo left for the direction of where the two zombies were terrorizing the young female student, or that Lisa was heading back in the direction of the bio lab building.

He was working on making his large notices to be placed at regular spots on the campus. He didn't know what they would do if a big crowd showed up. But between the three of them, they could probably bite a lot of people in just one hour, and have Lisa apply her special cauterizing treatment to the burn the site of the bite mark. That would leave only a small amount of the zombie virus to enter the body, and give their immune system enough time to adjust. They would then become immune, and then the zombies would ignore them.

But he had a feeling that they wouldn't be able to do this fast enough. The infectious zombies were running around outside, sometimes in groups. More people would be infected than they could protect.

"But it's all we can do," he muttered to himself.

Finally, he had fifty notices written out and ready to go. He hunted through his backpack again. He found tape, and about ten thumbtacks. It would have to do. He looked up at the sky, hoping that it wouldn't rain.

In a building off to his right, he heard crashing sounds, and also the sounds of gunshots.

"Hmm. Someone must have smuggled some guns onto the campus. Good luck to them!"

His main focus would be to get the notices onto all the public spots of the campus. He headed for the cafeteria first. Inside, he could still see people milling around. At this rate, there wouldn't be any food left for anyone in a day or two. He looked at his backpack, happy that he and his friends had food for at least a week, if they rationed it carefully.

Now it was time to get going. He grabbed his things and went to put up the first notice outside the cafeteria's door. Then he looked around. It would probably be best to put the notices up on the three of four dormitories remaining. The last one they'd deliberately burnt down, to kill off most of the zombies.

That had worked for a bit. But the people the dead, zombies had infected them now turned into zombies themselves, and were roaming around campus.

It took a while to put up the notices. Now that the dorm buildings were all done, he should get the notices up at the library, and at the auditoriums where the classes were given. It would have been cool to place the notices inside buildings, but most students at risk would probably be roaming around campus. And if they gave up, they were probably hiding somewhere and wouldn't see the notices anyway.

A few times he saw zombies roaming around. He tried to avoid them. After all, even if he were immune to their hunger, he didn't want them to hassle him. And what if there were ten? Then what would he do? He'd probably be dead before they noticed that he was like them.

Solomon took a look at his watch. His task had only taken 90 minutes to complete. What to do for the next 30? He was getting hungry again, and had to use the facilities. He decided to head for the cafeteria again.

"I wonder what happened to that zombie in there? Hopefully those dummies took it out. What a joke that girl was mad, as we left a ton of knives in there anyway. Was she trying to be a leader? Good luck with that, trying to organize during this mess."

Solomon headed up to the door and peered in. He saw some bodies lying on the ground. No one seemed to be hiding under the tables, but they could be hiding in the kitchen instead.

Either way, he was safe. At least from the zombies. Maybe not from the bad humans.

In he went. "Hello?" he called out. "Zombie food here. Or, if you're still alive, I have a safety tip for you."

But there was no response. Where did all those people go? It wasn't like there were a lot of safe places outside. But they must have found a building to stay safely secure.

He shrugged, and went into the kitchen. He was started to get exceptionally hungry.

"I just ate," he thought to himself.

"Hey!" said someone, jumping out at him.

Solomon reacted before thinking. He jumped on top of them. The two fell to the ground, struggling.

Solomon didn't know if it was a zombie or a human. He did what his instincts told him to do. He leaned toward their arm. The young man grabbed his throat and squeezed.

Solomon managed to twist around the hand. He bit into the man's wrist, hard. And it tasted delicious. His teeth hit bone. He bit deeper, then pulled a large chunk if flesh and blood away.

"Ahhhh!" screamed the young man.

Then Solomon felt something hit against his back. He fell down onto the guy again. Then he felt hands grab onto his body, shoving him off of him.

Solomon looked up at an angry young woman who was holding a gun.

"Hey, no! I'm not a zombie!" he tried to say, trying to chew past the flesh and tissue in his mouth. He decided to spit it out.

But the young woman pulled the trigger on her gun. "If not now, you are turning into a zombie."

Solomon dropped down to the ground after he was hit by the loud blast. The pain in his chest hit him hard. He stopped moving and closed his eyes.