CHAPTER 7

THE THREE FRIENDS quickly jumped up out of their chairs. It was a good thing they had loosened their bounds earlier.

But something else was happening too. There were cries and screams from one end of the room.

"Get the girl!" yelled out Fifi. "And what is happening on the other side of the room?"

Some of her gang turned and ran out of the room and into the hallway.

Solomon watched as two of Fifi's gang quickly turned into zombies. The two zombies advance on him, sniffed the air, then turned away.

"Shit! My plan has been ruined!" called out Fifi.

"Kill them!" screamed Lisa. "Or you die too!"

Fifi had no choice. She leapt forward and stabbed one of the zombies through the eye socket. The zombie dropped to the ground.

Fortunately, Spence was also prepared. Only a few minutes later, ten more zombies lay dead on the ground.

Eduardo, Lisa, and Solomon stood at the side of the room.

Fifi looked up. "The zombies didn't even touch you."

"We weren't kidding when we said we are immune," replied Lisa. "Now, unless you plan on other shenanigans, we are going back to the bio lab to work on a better vaccine, or even better, a cure."

Fifi glared at her as the three friends left the room.

"Say, what is that?" asked Solomon.

"Oh! It's Muffin!" said Lisa. She leaned down on the ground and patted her lap. "Here Muffin Muffin," she called out.

The rat ran up to her and accepted a few pets. But then he looked worriedly in the direction of Fifi.

"What the hell is that?" the woman called out.

"My pet," explained Lisa. "Oh no, he disappeared again!"

Fifi had pulled out her gun.

Eduardo grabbed her elbow. "Come on, let's go."

"Your damn rat infected my team!" screamed Fifi.

The three friends managed to get out of the room right before the gunshots hit the wall.

"Oh, I can't leave Muffin!" cried Lisa, but Eduardo and Solomon each pushed her to keep moving.

"Darn rat!" they heard coming from the room.

Then there were several gunshots heard.

"Oh no," cried Lisa.

"Sorry, but we need to get away from that nut job," said Eduardo.

The three friends ran into the courtyard. The gunshot sounds had drawn some random zombies to the building. The three friends ran in the direction of the library building, as it was the closest.

"In here," said Solomon.

"If that crazy is running around, we need to find some guns too," said Eduardo.

"Yes, but let's Lisa settled first. She is upset over Muffin".

The three friends found a room at the back of the library that must have been meant for a meeting room for library staff. They weren't able to lock the door. They sat down to rest for a bit.

"It's not really the zombie that are the threat here, it's the humans," declared Eduardo.

Solomon nodded. "I don't agree with you all the time, but I agree on this."

"What a psycho. So that nut job killed most of the population, just for a game?"

"Yep," said Eduardo.

Then there was banging on the door.

"Oh no, she's here!" cried Lisa.

"I figured you'd be here," Fifi said. "Someone overheard you earlier discussing research at the library."

She walked into the room, with Spence behind her.

"Hi folks!" he called out.

Eduardo, Lisa, and Solomon quickly ducked under the table when they saw that Fifi was holding a gun in her hand.

"We should discuss this!" called out Lisa. "We can join together and hunt for zombies! Like you wanted!"

Fifi just laughed. Then she pulled the trigger. Three bullets hit the back wall.

The team of three looked frantically at each other under the table.

"What do we do?" Lisa whispered at Eduardo and Solomon.

Eduardo motioned to push the table over. She nodded.

"On three," said Eduardo. "One, two,"

And then they got interrupted by a noise.

"Ahhh!" screamed out Fifi.

The friends peeked up and over the table.

There was Spence stabbing Fifi through the left eye. He pulled the dagger away.

"So, zombies still die, even when they have had the bite vaccine," he said. He turned and looked at the three friends on the other side of the room.

Fifi dropped to the ground. She had only a moment to ask, "Why?" Her right eye turned to green before she stopped breathing and her body stiffened like stone.

Spence smiled smugly at her. "It's always as you say. "It's all for fun." He turned and looked at the three friends who were hesitating at standing up.

"Go!" he said to them. "Most of my gang are dead. We won't be bothering you any longer. I'm going home to see if my parents are still alive."

They quickly left the library.

They became distracted by a few other zombies milling around in the courtyard.

The three friends seized the opportunity, and headed back inside the library.

"This time, let's block the main entrance," said Eduardo.

"Yah, don't want to get our rest disturbed again." Lisa and Solomon dragged a large heavy wooden table over for double protection.

Then the three of them were finally able to sit down and rest once again.

"What I really want to know is if it was you, Eduardo, who left the zombie corpse for me in the lab?" asked Lisa, quite puzzled.

"Yes, that was me," replied Eduardo. "Let's hope we can get back there in a bit."

"I miss Muffin," Lisa added.

Solomon patted her on the shoulder. "What a good pet."

"Yes, but it is sad."

"Hey, we'll get you a kitten, once all this mess is over," said Solomon.

The trio of friends smiled hopefully at each other.