Chapter Sixteen: Barracuda

...2014...

                "I need a ride" I say as Jude stares up at me from his bed. He shuffles cards between his hands with a dexterity I wish I had. I guess it comes with hunting.

                "Oh do you, now?" He smirks at me, his eyes lighting up at the chance to tease me.

                "Yeah I do." I cross my arms and try to look like I mean business, but his eyes tear my bullshit apart.

                "I can't let you do that. You're on lockdown, you know." He separates a card from the deck and flings it at my head; it flies just over my right shoulder. I bend down to pick up the card and study it: ace of hearts.

                "Because of the X?" Seriously? They've got to know that that wasn't me. I'm not working with Theresa. I've never even seen her before tonight.

                "Because of the X." He sets the cards down and runs a hand through his ginger hair. "If it helps, I believe you."

                "Why? Is it because you're the one working with Theresa?" I snap at him.

                He throws his hands up in defense, "Whoa." He stands up off his bed and towers over me. His eyes shine with something terrifying, "Don't you ever question my loyalty. You may be blood, but I'm family. You have to earn family. Got it?" He twitches like he's going to shove me and very thinly restrains himself.

                "Got it," I whisper and he looks down on me with a hint of pity. I hand the ace back to him, "What's with the cards?"

                He snatches it out of my hand. "That's also none of your business."

                "I know that you are going for the whole enigma thing, but you're just coming off as an asshole." I snatch the card back and hold it away from him.

                "Please give it back." He reaches for the card, but I hide it behind my back, out of his reach. "Cassidy. C'mon. This isn't funny."

                "Why? What isn't funny?" I can't help but grin at his display of helplessness.

                "They're my sister's, okay." He reaches around my back, but I move out of the way causing his hand to skim along my waist.

                "I didn't know that you have a sister?" I take the card out from behind my back and study it. On the back of the card is Virginia written in a loopy cursive.

                "I had a sister." He almost whispers and finally grabs the card from me. He places it with the rest of the deck and unceremoniously shoves it into a drawer.

                "Oh my god what happened?" I ask but he immediately shuts me down.

                "I don't want to talk about it, Cass. I'll give you the damn ride, but just leave me alone." Jude grabs his keys of his nightstand. He called me Cass.

                "Hey," I reach out and grab his hand, "I lost a friend too. A good friend. She was like a sister to me, so if anyone can relate to losing someone like that it's me. So if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here. Keeping all that pain bottled up isn't healthy."

                So naturally he says, "Your eyes are really pretty." And then drops my hand and walks out.

...