003

"see those people over there who look like they bought all their shit from ebay?" dabi nods over to a large group of characters, all dressed to the nines in gear and bling. "that's the hassaikai, some 'elite' racing group who's got money but no skill to show for it."

compress had given you a long jacket to cover up yourself before you were meant to go into the spotlight. it was an easy task to hide you, as many of the league members were giants. dabi quietly gave you the tea on all the teams present, but it seemed the only ones you were supposed to be concerned about were the hassaikai. 

"boss hates their leader with a passion," dabi said. "kai? yeah, he's a real brat. got a lot of money and decided to shove his way into the street racing, very ungracefully might i add."

"i'm guessing shigaraki runs the street racing world if he's so threatened?" you asked. all around you, cars and motorbikes were revving, fueling and changing tires. 

dabi laughed. "oh, he's not threatened. he's just... a little possessive. likes what's his to stay his. and the idea that this wannabe might want to attempt to dethrone him irks him beyond belief. it doesn't matter that kai won't be able to pull shit, shigaraki can't let people even think they can take over."

you nodded in understanding, having to block your eyes from the headlights that flare as the vehicles take warm-up laps around the dirt track. "seems like him."

compress rushes up to you with a headset on. he pulls one side off his ear and leans into your shoulder. he yells over the noise all around, "i won't be around when you go out, but put on a performance, okay?! we need that audience on our side."

toga appears out of nowhere and agrees. "you're super sexy, babe, so act like it!" she winks.

you laugh and reassure them, your eyes flickering to shigaraki in the background. he sits on a stool, one leg propped on the bar as he cleans his helmet visor. his shoulder length white hair covers his face from view and every little movement of his sends your eyes flying elsewhere. 

dabi came into view. he had a knowing smirk on his lips. you gave him a defensive what? look. he just shook his head and walked off.  

you followed to team shigaraki's tent. you sipped some water from a glass as your eyes observed every little detail around you. you walked up to a whiteboard at the bike, notes of all kinds written on it. what caught your eye was the rotation. dabi was first, then someone named twice, then toga, then shigaraki. 

your eyebrows creased and your head fell to your shoulder as you took in that information. you assumed shigaraki would go first, being his team and all. 

"what's got you so interested?" speak of the devil...

you turned and smiled sweetly, pointing at the whiteboard. "i just thought you'd race first."

his eyes flitted to the board before they refocused on you. "i do, sometimes. but when it's a race of endurance, then i go last."

you decided not to press him about it, but his burning gaze unsettled you. you glanced at him shyly. "...what? something on my face?" this team is kind of whack.

he smirked. "no."

you nodded slowly, lips pressing into a line. "okay...?"

"you're gonna start my race against kai." he said, pocketing his hands and leaning against table behind him. "i think dabi told you how important it is to make sure you debut right."

you hum. "yeah, he did. something about intense rivalry and you hating him."

shigaraki scoffed. "it's not a rivalry. but i do hate him. and we need to show him that for everything he has, we have something better. so you need to be the best."

suddenly a weight was dropped on your shoulders and a feeling of dread encroached upon you. "of course." you said meekly. 

he smiled but with no amusement. "don't screw it up. i'm counting on you." he walked away then.

you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. your first impression of shigaraki was that he was chill, but no. he really just threatened on you within minutes of meeting you. no pressure at all. you rolled your eyes.