004

dabi won his race. toga won hers, too. it was now shigaraki's turn, and you had no doubt he'd bring it home. but it was also your turn, and you were nervous. no one in the audience saw you, thanks to compress.

compress voice filled the loudspeakers, announcing the final race of the night; shigaraki vs. chisaki. 

you held your phone up, touching up your makeup excessively. in the camera, you saw tomura walk up behind you.

"you look fine." he deadpanned, taking your phone and your makeup and setting it aside. he stood up and god did he look fine in that racing suit. the whole team did. you didn't realize you were staring until he looked over his shoulder with an annoyed expression, jolting you to his side. 

you blew out air and you reminded yourself. it's just a silly little race. you've done it many times before and besides, no one cares about flag girls as much as shigaraki's making it seem.

he nudged you with his elbow, though he didn't look at you. "remember—"

"yes, yes, i know. be the best and don't screw up my debut." you muttered. you could feel him side eye you but didn't react.

"your performance starts as soon as you leave this tent." he said. you crossed your arms, ignoring him. 

music blared as compress finally welcomed the next two racers. tomura walked out coolly. after a moment, you followed. the crowd immediately flared up at your appearance; a flag girl they have never seen before. 

you walked with confidence as you made your way to the middle of the track, flashing a million dollar smile at the crowd. the cameras focused on you—you blew a kiss, winking at the lens which sends the crowd into a bit of a frenzy. you made it to the middle of the track, pausing in a wide stance and your weight shifted to one hip. your hand rested on the outstretched hip as you held the flag over your shoulder. 

your eyes flicker to shigaraki as he's in his car. he remains expressionless, but his eyes burn holes into your body. he doesn't have a helmet on, but his right hand rests on the top of the wheel and the other holds his chin. you ignore the intensity of his stare and return your attention to the crowd. someone rushed up to you with a mic.

"hello, everyone." you said, your voice smooth and rich like honey. "shall we start the engines?"

as if on cue, both chisaki and shigaraki revved their cars, a thundering noise that almost made you physically recoil. the crowd jeered and cheered for who they supported respectively. 

the traffic light above you whirred as it clicked to life, cycling through all the colors before it was stained red. the heat of the moment, the adrenaline, the spotlight, the roar of the crowd and the purr of the engines made you feel as if this was all a fever dream; as if you were floating and not entirely there.

but you were, and the beeping of the light behind you brought you back.

without missing a beat, you grinned and twirled the flag over your arms, rolling it down into your hands. "on your marks..."

your eyes met shigaraki's and god you knew he was keeping an eye on you because you were literally the embodiment of the green light, but his gaze unsettled you to your core. you turned to meet chisaki's eyes, which were all you could see above that eclectic mask of his. 

"get set, boys..." your voice captivated the crowd as they waited on your next move. you allowed yourself to smile before you began to wave the flag, signaling the start of the race. shigaraki seemed to move before the flag waved once, and you tried with all your might not to flinch as both cars soared past you.