Alex ~ Home

"You talk about a family, and a home. I don't know what those things are."
"This, here. This is your home, and everyone here is your family."

"I've never had a home," Alex said and everyone looked at him as they were cleaning up the mural. "I've never had a family. I've been alone on the streets for most of my life and everyone I've ever trusted has left me. I'm sorry about everything I've done, I just don't want to be let down again."
"You know, there's a reason why lots of kids here call this the dumping ground," Mike told him.
"We've all been dumped."
"Left behind."
"Unwanted."
"Yeah."
"You're like us Alex," Tyler told him.
"Mike and I understand Alex. You will be valued and looked after here if you let us help you."
"Yeah, we're like a big family."
"Well, most of us are. I don't like Ryan."
"Oi! I don't like you either."
"Or Joseph."
"What have I done?"
"There you go Alex. Lots of bickering goes on here, just like in a real family."
"The DG is my home Alex. It has been for many years. Everyone here is my family and they can be yours too."
"They're not perfect, but no family ever is is it?" Chloe said and Alex paused for a moment.
"Do you mean it? That this can be my family?"
"I do."
"So long as you don't smash anything."
"I can't promise that. I can have a fiery temper."
"You're telling us."
"And you don't steal from us again."
"Yeah, leave that job to Ryan."
"Oi! When I have stolen from any of you?"
"You don't want me to answer that. And you're sly, like when you had Mike suspended."
"Ok guys, enough," Mike said before he looked at Alex. "You're not the first kid who's been a hard case to crack Alex. But I never give up on anyone, and I always sort them out in the end."
"I need sorting out?"
"No, you don't," May-Li said with a smile. "Everyone has found it hard in the beginning, found it hard to fit in. But we're one big family, and we support each other."
"I was locked in a cupboard when I first arrived," Jody said and they looked at her. "I had to smash my way out."
"What?"
"Carmen set all my belongings on fire, including my fireworks," Tyler added. "Then we had an actual fire and Gus fell through the roof."
"I smashed a car up when I arrived."
"I kidnapped Chloe, well... we ran away from Ryan."
"Candi-Rose lied to me. And everyone asked me about my accident and why I'm in a wheelchair."
"Everyone hated me when I arrived, and they still do."
"I was on my own when I arrived. I ran away from my foster home."
"I responded to a text for help from Harry and I came back with him and Finn."
"I was being used by a gang, stealing things. Then Sasha and Tyler saved me."
"Harry scared me so much on my first day that I ran away, I was only 6 years old."
"So you did go missing Floss?" Mike asked her.
"Yes, but not for that long."
"None liked Kazima when she first arrived."
"Yeah, she splashed Carmen's perfume all over herself to prove a point. Like smelling like that and being pink would make us like Kazima."
"I can't imagine it."
"Neither could she."
"Everyone thought that Billie and I were boys."
"Because of our names."
"And they still get us confused."
"None's had it easy Alex. Stealing people's things and throwing clothes out of a window is nothing compared to what we've seen over the years," May-Li told him.
"And everyone's all still here?"
"Yep."
"Yeah."
"We are."
"Hi!"
"Though Mike and May-Li wished we weren't sometimes."
"That may be true, occasionally. But we never give up on you do we?"
"No, never," Sasha said and Alex smiled.
"May-Li is like a mum to all of us."
"Aww, thanks Toni."
"And Mike is like our dad."
"More like a big child."
"Oi!" Mike said and he accidentally flicked paint at Tyler.
"Mike!"
"Tyler don't. No!" Mike shouted and everyone started throwing paint. They laughed and May-Li took Alex aside.
"Tyler meant it Alex. This can be your home too, if you want it."
"It is a good place. And if Kazima called it home, I think I can too. One day."
"Good."
"Kazima said that this could also be my family."
"Yes. We're not perfect, and everyone doesn't always get on. But everyone's there for each other when it matters. You will not be left again Alex."
"Thank you."
"Come on. I don't want paint on my clothes, do you?"
"I don't mind, I don't have to clean them."
"I do. Come on," May-Li said and Alex smiled as they left everyone to the paint fight.

Later, Tyler addressed everyone in the kitchen and talked to them about the importance and bond of the DG family.