Charlie ~ Sinus Infection

"No... no..." Charlie said as she was sitting on the sofa in the lounge. Her head hurt and she was confused. Tears were running down her face and Alex saw her as he came down the stairs.
"Charlie? Are you alright?"
"Alex...?" Charlie asked as she turned to him.
"Yeah. What's going on? Has something happened?"
"I don't know..." Charlie said and Alex knelt in front of her.
"Has someone hurt you?"
"No... No, I don't think... I don't think so..."
"Then what is it?" Alex asked as he gently took Charlie's hands into his own.
"I don't know," Charlie said as more tears fell down her face. "My head hurts... I don't know where I am or what's going on... Alex please... I... I don't know."
"Have you fallen? Hit your head?" Alex asked, and he checked her head.
"It doesn't hurt like that. Please, I need... I need to..."
"Alright. Just stay there Charlie," Alex said and he went to the office.

~

"May-Li," Alex said as he came to the office door.
"Alex. Is everything alright?"
"It's Charlie. Something's wrong. She said that her head hurts, and she doesn't know where she is or what's going on."
"Has she been hurt?
"I don't know," Alex said, and he led May-Li to where Charlie was sitting.
"Charlie," May-Li said gently as she knelt in front of her and Alex sat beside her. "What's going on?"
"My head hurts. I'm confused and..."
"And what?" May-Li asked as she put her hand onto Charlie's leg.
"I'm scared."
"Oh Charlie," Alex said as he put his hand onto her back.
"It hurts behind my... behind my eyes and..."
"Behind your eyes?"
"Yeah... who are you?"
"I'm May-Li, Alex and I look after you ok?"
"Just you?" Charlie asked as she looked at them.
"Yeah."
"Are you my parents?"
"Not exactly."
"Please... I'm scared," Charlie said and May-Li squeezed her leg.
"Let's get her into the car Alex. We'll get her to a doctor and they'll be able to figure out what's going on ok?" May-Li reassured Charlie.
"Ok..."
"Do you trust me Charlie?"
"I think so..."
"Come on. We're going to find out what's going on with you alright?"
"Ok," Charlie agreed, and she went with Alex to the car.

~

"Charlie. I heard what happened," Mike said as they came in and Alex had his hand around Charlie's back. Her face was stained with tears and she was shaking a little. "Did you get a diagnosis?"
"She's got a sinus infection," May-Li told him quietly. "The doctor's given her some painkillers and we're to give her antibiotics."
"The infections should be gone in 3 or 4 days."
"Ok. That's good news. Until then Charlie, you're off school alright?"
"I go to school?"
"Not for the next few days," Alex answered and Charlie smiled.
"Ok."
"We'll talk in the office. Alex, can you take Charlie upstairs?"
"Of course I can. Come on," Alex said, and he took Charlie upstairs.

Once they had gone up, May-Li went over to Mike.
"I've said that Alex can stay in Charlie's room tonight."
"May-Li..."
"I know. But she needs care and reassurance. She's still confused and Alex is going to keep an eye on her."
"Alright. If you think that's best, but it's on your head."
"I'll go up and check on them in half an hour. First, I'll let everyone know that they need some space."
"Don't let them get the wrong impression."
"There's nothing that I can do to stop that from happening," May-Li said and Mike gathered everyone up.