Chapter Twenty-Six: Paws and Claws.

Tovier's home was nestled in the Field Wards, east of the city his property was lined with a tall wooden fence that looked to be made of many different trees, the gate was wooden and stood to each of their hips. Citrine pushed the latch and the group made their way onto the property. Goats, horses, sheep, cows, and chickens ran around, at least 4 acres from what she could guess. A griffon lay basking in the setting sun a giant badger laid behind it. Citrine's eyes widened with joy seeing not just mundane animals but beasts of every type surrounding her, the gravel path led to a stone house a barn could be seen behind it.

Sitting on the front porch next to an empty rocking chair was Tovier, he greeted the group learning everyone's names when his introductions to Astarion came Tovier shot Citrine a knowing look. He invited them all in, when the front door opened the smell of stew swam in the air, it smelled of rosemary and onion. The smell was thick and delicious, fresh baked bread lingered as well.

"I never come empty-handed to anyone's." Gale offered the wine to Tovier who thanked him. Tovier ushered them all into his kitchen, above the table a portrait of him and a beautiful drow woman her smile was fresh and inviting, her eyes sparkled with joy her arms wrapped tightly around Tovier.

"Is this Lucia?" Citrine wandered over to the portrait, taking in his wive's beauty.

"That would be her, the love of my life had a heart unlike any other." He walked to her, Citrine grabbed the necklace he had given her the very same one in the painting.

"She looks so happy. You both do."

"Aye, we were. She had a heart for every living creature and she still managed to find room in her heart for me." Citrine bent down hugging her newfound friend. Tovier hugged her back she could still feel his heartbreak.

Night fell and Tovier served them all, Astarion pushed his food around and would take empty spoonfuls to his mouth. They all got along quite well, Tovier told more stories about Lucia and the others listened intently. The stew was all vegetables and herbs the taste was divine and so was the rosemary bread with it. Tovier had a calling for cooking perhaps in another life he would have.

"Tovier I'm glad to have met you." Citrine reached over the table grabbing his hands. "Thank you for telling us about Lucia and thank you for taking care of all of these animals even after her passing."

He grasped her hands back. "I am glad to have met you too dear, it's been a long time since I've gotten to tell of my heart and I appreciate you all letting an old dwarf prattle on with his stories. Lucia would have liked all of you. She was the kindest soul I have ever come to know." In his eyes, it was as if she was still there. He released Citrine's hands.

The night carried and so did the stories, "I will have some horses brought here tomorrow feel free to take the time to come down, I'll be here after the market and when you all are ready to leave we will set you all right." The group thanked him as they made their way back home, smiles on all their faces.

When they arrived back at Gale's tower they all said their goodnights, Gale had given up his bed so Shadowheart might take it making himself comfortable on the couch. Citrine and Astarion made their way up to their room leaving Robin and Scratch with pets and words to stay with Gale.

The two changed into their nightwear both turning backs from the other, "Good night Astarion." Citrine whispered as she tucked herself into bed. She felt Astarion sit by her side, rolling over as she faced him.

"You are beautiful." His voice was a whisper. "Tovier and Lucia I want that."

"You want a partner to die and leave you with a bunch of animals?" She chuckled. "And here I thought most of them put you on edge."