- Ingrid "the Wolf" Falk -

One

There was a time when Ingrid would have scoffed at working among the humans. They were beneath her, nothing more than slaves for her whims. And yet, times had forced her and her kind to adapt to life on Midgard. It was pretty easy, too, and giants were naturally predisposed to succeed. After all, the Aesir had disappeared, the only thing holding the giants back.

Now, Ingrid relished working with humans. Erik's plan to get into the illegal business was even more exciting. Giants were above the law anyway, and the underworld was the perfect place for them to flourish. The Falk empire had grown over the decades with several "charitable" fronts as a cover. They even had the police force in their pocket, and soon enough, Erik owned half the city.

However, the one downfall was the lifespan of humans. They lived such short lives. It was a wonder they got anything accomplished. For immortal giants, they had to come up with a decent cover to explain their fixed appearances. Hence, the father-daughter duo.

Eventually, the time came for Erik to step aside and let his "daughter" take over. Ingrid did more for the Falk empire than Erik ever could. Not that she would ever tell him that. Well, maybe one day when she was feeling particularly snide.

"Ah, there you are," came the smooth, European-tinted voice. One of the guards at the door shut it behind Ingrid as she sauntered into the dimly lit room. "I was beginning to think you forgot about me."

Ingrid's expression was serene, but underneath, her venom was ready to strike. She and Erik had a relationship out of necessity, not because they liked each other. Ingrid loathed Erik since they were in Jötunheimr, back when they went by different names.

When it was time, the plan was to announce Erik's death. Ingrid purchased a penthouse suite at the Grand Manor, paid for extra discretion and holed Erik inside. He despised being locked away, but Ingrid had found the break a relief. The freedom made her want to barricade the door and never let him out.

"I'd never forget you, Erik," she replied. "I like to keep my friends close." And my enemies closer.

"Friend," Erik scoffed. Prowling, he shifted in the shadows, his eyes flashing in the dark. Ingrid stood in the middle of the penthouse, her back straight. She didn't move, but she was on high alert. "You don't have friends, Ingrid." He sneered at the name she'd picked for herself and stepped into the light.

Whereas Ingrid's beauty was sharp and severe, Erik was like a dapper, sixty-year-old man who grew more attractive as he aged. His dark hair was highlighted with silver threads, his beard trimmed and oiled, his nails manicured and glossed. He wore suits of the finest quality, with a fondness for pinstripe. Any traces of the ancient giant he had been were long gone. He was a successful businessman of the twenty-first century.

"Oh, come now, aren't we friends?" Ingrid asked with a coquettish smile.

Erik hummed, unamused. "To what do I owe this unannounced visit? Can't you see I'm a very busy man?"

"Stewing in the shadows is taxing work," Ingrid nodded, flicking her ponytail over her shoulder.

"Must we do this song and dance every time?" Erik sighed. He folded himself with annoying elegance onto the leather sofa. "What are you doing here?"

"Fine. If you don't want the foreplay, so be it." Ingrid reclined on the opposite sofa. "I've been to the construction site. They are delayed but still on track to completion before the first snowfall."

The mansion was a compromise. Given that neither giant trusted the other, staying apart was precarious. Besides, the estate would give Erik more freedom to roam, and other giants could stay with them, just like the halls in Jötunheimr.