- Madeline -

Five

Wendell's was a local pub with cheap upholstery, sticky hardwood floors and even cheaper beer. It also happened to be in the perfect spot for everyone because, despite its less-than-stellar appearance, Wendell's was always busy. Even at five o'clock on a Wednesday, the pub was bustling. That could also have to do with the renowned loaded poutine. You didn't go to Wendell's and not get a plate of the handcrafted fries deep-fried in oil, drowning in smooth gravy and a pile of the chewiest, stringiest cheese curds. Comfort food at its finest, which was exactly what Madeline was looking for.

She slid into the usual booth with a sigh. As usual, she was the first one there, though it didn't bother her. The wait gave her time to figure out why Leo wanted to meet with her and figure out if she should say anything about the weird shit that had been happening.

Maybe she was going insane, she thought drily. She had a dream about an old man and the supposed tree of life. She consulted her runes, prayed at her altar, but there were no satisfying answers. She'd spent all day in her office, researching and avoiding Helen like the plague. Perhaps she should take a break from the occult and focus on the real world, where there were very real things happening.

"Hey."

Someone slid into the booth opposite her, and she jerked her head up, instantly relaxing upon seeing the familiar face. One that was almost a reflection of her own.

"Hey, Leo," Madeline smiled.

Twins. Good luck in her family, even if the they had a string of bad luck following them since birth. Leo had an easy way about him. He grinned and spread his arms across the top of the booth. Even though they weren't identical twins, they resembled each other closely. They were the same height, their blonde hair was light and effortless, their skin milky and smooth. Even their eyes burned with the same levels of green, brown and gold, striking eyes that bore into a person. However, where Madeline sought to conceal her looks, Leo flaunted them. He wore stylish outfits that flattered his slender figure, painted his nails, and wore just enough makeup around his eyes to pop and blush to exaggerate the cut of his cheeks and the shape of his lips. Everything about Leo exuded confidence and ego, something Madeline had never quite grasped. Yet, as different as they were from one another, the Finch twins were inseparable. Or, they were, until a couple of years ago when Leo found success in modelling.

"So, what's up?" she asked. "I don't hear from you in ages and then, all of a sudden, you need to meet?"

Leo hesitated, his mask slipping for just a moment. Madeline picked at the napkin before her, waiting for him to speak. She wouldn't pry, though her mind buzzed with questions. She might have had weird visions, premonitions and dreams, but Leo's abrupt meeting intrigued her.

"I don't know," he admitted, "this is kind of my friend's idea. He wanted to meet you."

Madeline frowned. Meet her? Why? She opened her mouth, the question slipping to the tip of her tongue when someone approached their table.

"Well, look who it is, the Finch twins! It's been a while."

Their server—Wendell's daughter, Lottie—beamed down at them, a notepad in hand. Despite being five foot nothing, Lottie had a mouth like a sailor and had no qualms about throwing people to the curb. Her brown hair was pulled back in its signature braid, showing a face with more freckles than pale skin. She smiled wide, though when she glanced at Leo, her cheeks turned scarlet, and that telltale look danced in her eyes. Lottie may be a force to be reckoned with, but her crush on Leo made her go soft. Playing his part perfectly, Leo flashed a dazzling smile that left Lottie grasping for words. Madeline rolled her eyes.