▪︎° Chapter Six °▪︎

_________________

SMUT WARNING
_________________

The bright morning sun leaks through the window beside the double bed, casting a soft glow on the two figures lay upon it together. The room is quiet with only Riley's breathy snores echoing lightly in the air as she sleeps peacefully. She lay on her stomach, with her arm loosely draped over Steve's torso and her smooth bare back exposed above the thin white sheet.

Beside her, Steve lay silently with the same sheet resting just above his waist while he tucked his arm behind his head, propping it up. He admired her for a moment until he felt himself smiling at the peaceful expression she wore. Truth was, he felt lucky to have woken up next to her; the sight of her alone had proved to be calming to his tattered soul. So, with adoration reflecting in his eyes, he reached out to caress her cheek tenderly.

She was beautiful in every sense of the word.

But... she was also a huge distraction for him.

He'd done little 'work' since engaging with her. In fact, he found himself wanting to do nothing more than be with her. It was dangerous for the both of them. This business he was involved with was hardly legal nor safe. It wasn't something he could just walk away from. The money was good, his customers were loyal and the work itself was thrilling.

Then there was his wife and two non biological sons. He had to provide for them and keep up his appearance as a family man, even if he felt his heart drifting from them and towards a certain dark haired beauty with eyes greener than the densest forest.

He had to do what was best for his family, for his business and those relying on him to do his job.

He had to go through with the original plan, whether he wanted to or not. So, when Riley began to stir, he slipped on a charming smile and psyched himself up to ask her the question he had asked every woman before her.

Riley's eyes peeled open and the moment they did, she smiled. Her gaze met with Steve's and the previous nights events came rushing back, causing a blush to rise in her cheeks as she turned over to lay on her back.

"Morning," she mumbled shyly.

Steve's smile widened as he turned and dipped down to press his lips to hers, inhaling her natural scent before eventually pulling back. "Good morning," he murmured huskily. "How are you feeling?"

She sighed contently, "Amazing,"

"Good,"

She turned her head to look up slightly at him whilst his fingers ran along her collarbone thoughtfully, tracing various shapes. "Are you okay?" she asked as her brows pulled together with concern.

He seemed distant - lost in his many thoughts. His brows had creased together while his smile slowly disappeared from sight. Something was off, she could feel it as his eyes focused back to the present, resting on her concerned ones with a forced smile.

He shook his head, "I'm fine." he lied.

Riley rolled her eyes playfully whilst lifting her hand to caress his cheek, casually running her thumb along his cheekbone. "Look who's a bad liar now." She teased.

Steve chuckled and leaned into her touch; the touch he had been starved of his entire life. "Go away with me," he breathed out with eyes closed and an aching heart. Guilt was already trying to fight its way to the surface but like an expert, he shoved it deep down and opened his eyes to look into hers.

He wasn't surprised by the mix of confusion and shock in her expression. After all, they'd only personally known each other on a deeper level for two or three days, so, the idea of going away for a romantic weekend would seem ridiculous. It was too soon and he knew it. But he also knew Riley. She'd accept his offer and he'd play the loving boyfriend role to win her over until they made it to his house in the woods.