17. Prove It

Amy watched Lucy barrel back into the house and run straight for the bathroom, and she followed as quickly as she could. She sank down on the bathroom floor beside Lucy and put an arm around her niece. "Honey, you know I love you, right?"

"I do," Lucy answered through her tears.

"Well, I'm gonna say something to you with love. I need you to get out of my house and go back to L.A. right now. You need to make up with Tim."

"Aunt Amy..."

"Whatever dumb excuse you're about to give me, save it. Get in the car, listen to some music, clear your mind, and then, talk to that boy. If you don't, I know Tamara has no problem locking you two in a room until you resolve this," Amy cut her off with pursed lips.

"I was gonna stay with you for another day."

"Sorry, but Dave and I are un-inviting you to stay with us."

"We should stay to clean up the cottage."

"I'll take care of it," Amy promised. "No more excuses. No more bull. Talk to Tim, and then afterwards, break a piece of furniture or three with your makeup sex. I'll buy you a new bed or whatever."

"Aunt Amy!" Lucy gasped.

"You're both young and athletic. It's not out of the realm of possibility."

"I'm not really sure that's how things will go."

Her niece could not clearly see what was right in front of her, so Amy needed to explain, "One time, Tim showed up to my dialysis treatment with the biggest, dopiest grin on his face that he couldn't wipe off. I asked him what got him in such a good mood. I thought maybe he broke up with that boring girlfriend of his, but no, I pushed him enough, and he finally told me about how he had a great night with you."

"When was this?"

"You two were at some wedding for a fellow officer, and you danced together for most of the night apparently. Tim wouldn't give me a lot of details, but that look on his face told me all I need to know."

"Which is what?"

"That you're acting like a fool right now, so," Amy stood from the ground and offered her hands to help her niece stand up, too. "Get up, and get out of here."

Lucy obeyed and rose to her feet.

"Go back to the cottage and pack. I'll tell Tamara to get her stuff together, too. I want you two on the road as soon as possible."

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay and take care of you?" Lucy asked.

"In any other circumstance, I would love for you to stay forever, but I need you to get your happiness, and then maybe you can come back and visit with Tim."

Lucy followed her aunt's instructions and packed up her belongings in the cottage. It took a minute to actually leave the building she had grown emotionally attached to, but she knew that her aunt was in one of those very stubborn moods where Amy would show up and drag her out of the cottage herself if she thought Lucy was taking too long. She put her bags in her car before going back to the main house to say goodbye to Amy and Dave with plenty of hugs and a few more comments about getting back together with Tim.

Tamara waited until they were on the highway to ask, "So, what are you gonna do about Tim?"

"I wish I knew. I have until we get back to L.A. to figure it out," Lucy answered honestly.

But, the drive did not bring any clarity. Part of her never wanted to see Tim again while the other part of her wanted to run right over to his house and hold him in her arms forever. Torn, exhausted from the trip, and still reeling from her broken heart, Lucy decided to wait to talk to Tim in the morning.