Chapter 3 (Alex): That Clueless

"Did you know Creighton was dating Annie?" I asked my lunch date. "No," she said. "I think this is new. So, I was thinking, there's this new club we should try this weekend. It just opened."

"Because even though I've been out on assignment, you'd think I would have heard about it."

Shelby shrugged. "I think with your family name, we could get into the club, no problem, even though it has a three month waiting list."

"Did you see the way he put his hand on her back. That's a total 'dating, we're together' move."

"I guess. Before we go to the club, you want to help me pick out a dress?"

"Do you think Annie was wearing that red dress just for him?"

"I have no idea."

"Because, again, wearing clothes for a specific man seems to indicate a relationship."

Shelby sighed, her hand covering mine. "Alex, who cares if they're dating or fucking or whatever they're doing?"

"You think they're fucking?"

Squeezing my hand, she asked, "Alex, what does it matter?"

"Annie's a good friend," I said. "I just want to make sure she's not moving too fast with someone who might be a douche."

"Can we get back to our date this weekend? Is eight a good time? You could pick me up, we could go to dinner and then the club."

"I haven't agreed to a date this weekend," I said. 

"Alex, have you heard a single word I've said?" Shelby huffed.

Well, no. I'd been preoccupied thinking about Annie out on a date with Creighton. She'd just fucked me on Friday and then...she ran out. Holy shit—what if she'd had to leave because she had a date or two planned with him?

"Alex, I thought we really connected while you were on assignment. Was I wrong? I mean we talked about non-assignment things."

We had talked, true, but it wasn't deep or personal. Nothing like the talks I had with Annie. But enough that I thought maybe it would be worth seeing if Shelby had potential as a girlfriend. I'd been starting to feel like settling down.

I'd wanted to talk it over with Annie because we talked about everything. After we had sex, I'd hold her and we'd just pour out whatever was on our minds. I'd listen to her, she'd listen to me and it was easy and interesting because Annie was interesting. Fascinating.

"Alex! Did you hear what I said?"

Hmmm...no.

"Sorry, I just zoned out for a minute."

"I was wondering if you wanted to meet my family on Sunday."

That would be a fuck no.

More fool me. Shelby had been easy and fun on our calls; she'd been a nice break from all of the heinous shit that was happening on my assignment. She'd given no indication she was aware of who I was other than a spy she was assisting as per her job. The levity she offered seemed real. Annie would have a field day with this when I told her about it.

I looked at my watch and frowned. "Damn. I've got to get to a meeting."

"What about the club this weekend?"

"Not going to be able to make it."

"Maybe some other time?"

Holy hell, she was not picking up on my not interested hints. Hard to believe some people could be that clueless.