Jeremiah Fisher - Movie Night

After Susannah's death Jeremiah Fisher had been in a dark place. He watched his mother slip away from him day by day until there was nothing left. 

While he watched her fade, Jeremiah's girlfriend watched him. 

One night as Jeremiah lied on his bed in a pit of despair he heard a noise downstairs. He bolted upright as he heard someone drop something. "Ah shit!" they exclaimed. 

Freaked out Jere got up slowly and edged his way through the hall and made his way downstairs. He paused when he saw his girlfriend standing in the kitchen next to a bag of sugary treats with a big bowl and frying pan. 

She looked at him with a small, pitying smile. "Hey Jere" It was the first time they had spoken since his mom had died and she could see that it had taken its toll on him. 

"Babe, what are you doing here?" he asked confused then he paused "How'd you even get in?" She gave him a a shrug and pulled a key out "You gave me a key on our 1 year anniversary, remember" 

He nodded suddenly remembering. She put the bowl down on the side and he stared at it. He pointed "What's the bowl for?" 

His girlfriend's smile grew wider and she grabbed his hand making him crouch down so she could reach high enough to cover his eyes and lead him to the front room. 

"Surprise!" she said gesturing to the front room which was decked out with the golden fairy lights, there were blankets and pillows scattered across the sofa and floor. She had even built them a pillow fort. 

"It's not done just yet, I was trying to make the snacks to make it look perfect for you. I'm sorry" She said sadly. He pulled her in for a hug and shook his head "No, don't apologise it's better than perfect. I love it."

"Really?" she asked. 

He nodded and pulled her in for a hug. The two then went to the kitchen and made caramel popcorn ,which was a bit of a disaster as they ended up spilling hot caramel on her top so she borrowed on of Jere's shirts. 

He spun her round the kitchen as they waited for the popcorn to cool down "You look beautiful in everything you wear..." 

She smiled at him "But?" He smiled back "You look the most beautiful in my clothes"

When the popcorn was done they went back to the front room and began watching a movie. It was one of Susannah's favourites so she thought he might like it. When the movie had ended and all the snacks had been eaten Jere burst into tears. 

His girlfriend panicked and pulled him in for a hug. "Hey, shh, It's all right"

She could feel him shaking his head "No it's not alright. She's gone."

"I'm so stupid, I shouldn't have done this. I can clean up if you want to go to bed" she said quickly. He hugged her tighter "That's not what I mean, It's just my mom used to do all this stuff on movie nights and it just hurts to remember she's gone"

She rubbed her hand softly over his back as she let her tears fall. Susannah may not have been her mother but she felt like part of the family. "Jere-"

He cut her off "Tonight was perfect. I loved it. I just- I don't know what I did to deserve you."

The two spent the night cuddling and crying in each others arms in the pillow fort and eventually fell asleep together.