18| Night

THE MORE YOU COMMENT, THE MORE I WANT TO WRITE!!

Arsalan walked up to me until he was only a few steps away. He was looking at me now with a softened look that didn't seem as scary. I gulped and tried to stabilize my heavy breathing before he could notice. I didn't wan to appear weak in front of him.

"I told you to close the door because the guards downstairs could hear our conversation. Our royal status demands us to be our best, which means a single mistake can bring along numerous problems. Our personal life should not be the talk of the public which is why we must talk behind closed door about such matters" he explained in a serious tone. He then looked away and rubbed the nape of his neck with his hand. I guess he was right, my parents also explained to me how matters between a married couple should remain private between them. But I couldn't share a room with him, he needed to give me some other option.

"Could you please give me another room. I'm sure I saw a few down the hallway" I requested

"You can't leave this room tonight Isbah. Though my men are true and loyal to me, they are still men and I wouldn't want my wife close to them unnecessarily. Having you stay in another room will not only make you more vulnerable if God forbid something were to happen, but it would also keep me worried. I want you to here where I see you  with me" he said authoritatively and then walked back to the bed and took a seat on the edge. There was a short moment of silence that followed as neither of us said or did anything. I was looking at Arsalan while he faced the side wall with his back towards me. I wondered what he would do next because this night was just out of my comfort zone. The room was quite dark with only the light of the lanterns illuminating it. The windows were open and I could see parts of the night sky since most was hidden behind he clouds.

"You've probably had a long day. Come and sleep" Arsalan said while still facing the opposite direction. I didn't move initially but then decided to at least grab my pillow before he got angry again. I walked to the side of the bed closest me while Arsalan was seated on the other side. I went up to the head of the bed and picked up the pillow placed there. I also put down the lantern in my hand on the side table. I then walked to the chaise lounge placed by the wall where Arsalan was facing. I didn't want to come in his sight but he was gonna find out anyway. I slowly walked to it and set my pillow there. Just then, Arsalan lifted his head to look at me and a frown formed on his face as though he was disappointed in me.

"You know you won't fit on it" he stated and I just looked down in embarrassment. I knew I wouldn't fit on it but there was no way I was sharing a bed with him.

"I will manage" I said and placed the pillow on it

"Just come to the bed, I'm not going to eat you" he said with a shake of his head

"I know but I'm fine here" I said and I was now twiddling with the pillow case as a way to keep myself occupied

"Do you really hate me that much? I though that in three years you might have begun to think a little differently about me, at least enough to give me a chance but you are the same indecisive girl" he said while staring at me with saddened eyes that made me feel wrong and guilty.

"Maybe if you were a girl you'd understand how difficult it is to accept someone you didn't wholeheartedly choose but rather agreed to marry because of other people's influence" I said sentimentally. I was tired of being blamed for not accepting this relationship.

"YOU said yes at the Nikkah. You accepted. No one was threatening to kill you. You could have disagreed" he said

"Your parents begging you to do something is a threat, a threat of being labelled as an ungrateful child which I couldn't take" I said with teary eyes recalling my baba's crying face