Chapter 7

She'd been nodding off while reading the book, finding it quite interesting with how it told the story of the ancient power resting inside of her. The time passed so fast when she focused on the book. Cahira glanced up at the window, noticing the rain hitting on her window.

'Did it look like it was supposed to rain from earlier today?'

However, the soft creaks of wood made her feel uneasy. The same kind of uneasiness she felt whenever she had been in her room.

"Anyone there?" she called out, waiting for a response from one of the guards.

But none came. Cahira slipped out of the bed, slowly walking over to the door. As she peeked out, she noticed the guards on the floor, unconscious. She looked up at the darkened hallway. Maybe she should bring a candle just in case but decided against it. It would only bring unwanted attention on herself. She grabbed the cloak and put it on her shoulders, before stepping out into the dark. The walls would be her guide as she let her fingers softly trail against them as she walked further into the dark. The darkness brought her back to only a few years ago.

She'd been sitting on her bed, her parents on the other side of the door, trying to talk to her. Puddin was laying on the bed next to her.

"Darling, won't you tell us what happened?" her mother called out.

"Leave me alone!" Cahira yelled back.

The girls in her class had been throwing trash at her the whole day, calling her name. No one had done anything, for it was only teenage behavior. But she gotten so angry. The heat had spread through her like she was on fire. Then everything happened so fast. The main girl who threw trash at her was surrounded by fire. Cahira had been sitting at the back of the classroom, just staring. Until the yelling happened, that's when she'd blinked and looked away. The fires died out and everything rushed to the girl, which had ended up crying.

Cahira shook her head, getting the memory away. She stopped as she came back into the darkness. A shadow was standing in front of her. She recognized him despite just seeing his shadows.

"So, we meet again," they said, stepped closer as they removed the mask they had been wearing.

The floor suddenly turned slippery, and the cold creeped into Cahira's bones as she fell back on her ass. Her hands were shaking as she stared at his face, every memory flashing in front of her eyes. Them playing on the playground, them fighting over the controller whenever he would come over.

"It's you," she breathed.

"Who else could get close to you than your best friend?" he asked, crouching in front of her, "you didn't let me finish last time, princess. Then I'll take you to your father."

Her hands dug into the ground; the chill rushed down her spine as she stared at him. His hand was reaching out to her, but something flew between them. It made his hand retract for a second. Cahira inhaled as the thunder outside roared. The lightning flashed like a camera flash.

'No, Cahira. This isn't the same boy that you knew. Now get up.'

She fought for every tiny move. Tears stinging her eyes. A scream. It surprised him, she could feel the air change. A warm feeling ran down her veins, calming her nerves.

"Fight, Cahira."

She kicked towards him. He leaned back. She got up from the floor and ran. All the corners she'd turned previously, all the corridors she'd walked.

"You won't escape me in the end, Cahira!"

The moment she came to see the guards, she slowed down. She grabbed the edge of their chest plates and pulled them into her chambers. Once inside, she closed the door and pulled furniture in front of it. But never had she heard about a barricade keeping someone persistent out.